Pls criticize my Argentina / Chile 2 Week Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a young couple who will be flying into BA and out of Chile in late August / early September. We originally really wanted to go to Patagonia, but we're afraid the weather isn't the best at that time of the year. We're also planning on skipping Mendoza and the Lake District as we're not into wine and have seen our fair share of fjords. Any critiques on the following itinerary would be appreciated:

3 days Buenos Aires (maybe a 1 day trip to Uruguay)
1.5 days Iguazu
4.5 days Salta
.5 day bus to Calama from Salta
3.5 days Atacama
1 day Santiago

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Smunky: 5 days in Calama?? 3.5 days to Atacama? I feel the scenery will be boring after seeing the ones in the NW of Argentina. If I were you I would take more time for the NW and enjoy this area better. In SAn PEdro de Atacama, for instance most of the big circuits are in Bolivian territory, and the desert, compared to the Purmamrca, is really plain adn not very interesting except for the geisser de Tatio...
Maybe you get dissapointed if you leave a long time for that area and you find it tasteless... JUST a suggestion...
The Calchaquies Valleys, (3-5 days) and Tilcara, Purmamarca and the SAlt Flats(+2 days)are worth, and of course you can make arrangements to take the bus to San Pedro de Atacama in Purmamarca!
Warm regards.
FLINTSTONES
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM

One day in Santiago? It certainly deserves more than that.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Flinstones, I'm not spending 5 days in Calama, I'm taking a 1/2 day bus to Calama from Salta. That being said, what do you think of my itinerary?
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Would agree with Flintstones that NW Argentina is worth as many days as possible. It is so awesome and offers many different attractions. The local markets, food, wine, natural beauty, and cultural history could take weeks to enjoy fully. After being in both BsAs and Santiago, it also would be easy to spend more time exploring each of them, but this will give you a brief overview to see if you want another trip to explore them further. The weather was cool and comfortable in Aug/Sept last year in BsAs and NW. You will enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM

We are in Iguazu at the moment, for three days. We were here two years ago for about 1.5 days, and I can tell you that is not enough in my opinion. Three days seems to be adequate, though with a fourth day we would probably have done the all day trip to Misiones. Before Iguazu, we were in Bs Aires and then Mendoza. Three days in BA is probably enough, considering the limited time, but you will really want to pick anc choose your activites carefully.

Good luck---it's a lot to cover in short time!

Carson

In any respect
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Smunky, Salta as, collegemom said, deserves more time If I were you I would not waste time going to San Pedro de Atacama...
You will not regret stayig more time here.
Warm regards.
Flintstones