Please help with first time trip to Costa Rica

Apr 21st, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Please help with first time trip to Costa Rica

Hi,
I could really use some suggestions of where to go or what to do for our Costa Rica trip. We are planning on spending a week (is that too much?) surfing and body boarding in
Santa Teresa de Malpais; staying at the Tropico Latino Lodge and leaving the day after Christmas. Should we fly into San Jose and the fly to Tambor and arrange transport to Malpais? Or would flying directly to Liberia be easier?

Also, we would like to add a few days of ? after Christmas somewhere conveint to where we will be flying out of. We could rent a car, just wondered what would be best not to miss.

We will be traveling with our almost seven year old daughter so really long travel time are hard and boring things are, too.

Thank you in advance!!!
Gem
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:07 PM
Iza

Gem, it is hard to suggest some specific things to you since I am not sure what your interests are. We travelled to CR twice with our daughter who was 6 the first time and 7 for the second trip. She is now 9 and we are planning another trip there for this summer. Let me know if you would like a copy of our trip report from our second trip (let me know your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you).
A week in Malpais maybe too long as I understand it is a very small town and fairly remote. Your daughter may like more "action". I know you are looking into going to the Arenal area as well, and I think that would be fun for your daughter. Our daughter favorite activities in CR: playing in a pool, playing on the beach and boogie boarding, horseback riding on the beach, chasing hermit crabs on the beach, going into town and checking out gift shops, observing wild life.
During our first trip we spent 6 days in Tamarindo and a couple of days outside of San Jose taking day trips from there. On our second trip we visited Manuel Antonio, Osa Penninsula, Arenal and Tamarindo (we had two weeks). It was a great trip and our daughter loved it.
For this summer we are planning to explore a few towns along the coast of the Nicoya Penninsula.
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Iza,
I would love to read your trip report! Thank you. And I would love to hear what you are planning for this summer.
Here is my email address:
[email protected](nospam).com
(just leave out the no spam)
Best Regards,
Gem
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM

Hi Gem,
I responed to your other post regarding Tropical Latino. I didn't realize you were thinking of spending a week in Mal Pais and have to agree with Iza. It may too long a stay for a 7 year old! After playing in the waves for a couple days, she may get bored. Although it was a couple years ago, there were no real 'stores' for shopping but she would love the surf camp. Besides surfers there were several local families there who brought children there every night to play the games, etc.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:08 PM

A couple of things. Many of the beach hotels are already booked up for Christmas. I would move as quickly as possible for any bookings you might want. Another thing, the cost of most of the hotels will go up considerably (I have seen them double even) during the Christmas holidays. A couple of days at Los Lagos at Arenal would be a lot of fun for your daughter. Crocodille farm, water slides, plus, Tabacon is just up the road to play in also.
For beach, you might want to go to Tamarindo or for lots of monkeys and iggies for the little one...Manuel Antonio.
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Hey Iza, can you email your trip report to me also? My wife and I will be travelling to Costa Rica in March for the first time.
email: [email protected]

Thanks