Search

help with CR trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with CR trip

Im planning a trip in Aug to CR for 7 nights and 8 days. I was thinking of this for an itinerary.
2 nights Monteverde (Sapo Dorado)
2 nights Arenal (Tabacon resort) go by taxi-boat-taxi
3 nights Manuel Antoneo (Coste verde)

Would it be better to pick two places to spend more time in each place?? Any comments on the hotels??? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also would this be the best order for traveling. thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Hi my name is Neta Talmor and I have been living in Costa Rica with my boyfriend for almost 3 years.
We help our friends and family plan their trips to Costa Rica all the time, so I thought why not help more people too. From my experience, if you come for only 7 nights, it is probably not the best idea to go all the way to Monteverde. Although it looks close to Arenal on the map, in fact, it usually takes at least half a day to get there (no matter where you are coming from ), and half a day to get down. This means, that most likely you will have less than a full day to spend there, and it will take 3 days of your trip. Also, I don't know what time your flight to Costa Rica arrives, but I wouldn't start driving to Monteverde if it is not in the morning.
Regarding an alternative - it really depends on the kind of traveler you are, but in any case, there are plenty of options. Perhaps you would like to consider staying a couple of nights in the central valley (not in San Jose), and going on beautiful day trips. Again, I don't know what you are looking for, but you can go, among other places to:
Poas Volcano,
Sarchi (arts and crafts town),
Carara Biological Reserve,
Turubari tropical gardens and canopy (beautiful new park, just opened, with aerial tram, canopy, butterfly farm and more - www.turubari.com)
to name a few.
There are many hotels in the central valley that you can choose from, again, depending on your likes and budget (I will gladly recommend a few).
If you are a beach person, maybe you would like to go up north for a couple of days (to Guanecaste) before going down to Manuel Antonio (which I greatly recommend!). Oh, one last thing, Tabacon Hot Springs are a must!!! but we have heard, from 3 different people that the hotel itself is not as good as they would like you to think (and as it costs..).
Let me know if you need any more information, you can write me directly to my email as well.
Pura Vida,
Neta.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Neta has some good words of wisdom. My only question on one thing suggested. Traveling to Guanacaste beaches is just as long if not longer to get to than Monteverde, so...for the reasons she gave you for not going to Monteverde I would like to suggest you stick to Manuel Antonio rather than Guanacaste. It is a long ride to Manuel Antonio from Arenal but the trip back to San Jose will be shorter than trying to get to the airport from Guanacaste. There are nice beaches, rain forest, and enough tours in MA to give you plenty of options. One extra night in Arenal would give you a chance to get up to Cano Negro or and extra night or two in San Jose would give you the opportunity to do some quick day trips or even a rafting day. Another option would be a night in the Jaco area if you are young and want to check out the bars and surfing at the beach. It is very popular with younger people. In that area also, if you are not into the surfer scene is Carara reserve. This is all on the way to Manuel Antonio.
It would help to know how you plan to travel. The public bus system is very good but can be longer travel times. See monteverdeinfo.com for bus schedules. There are private buses for about $25pp in airconditioned buses (Fantasy Bus-they have a web site so you can see where they go). There are limited options for getting to these places by the private buses so you will need to take that into consideration when planning your travel days. It is about 3 1/2 -4 hrs from the Airport to Monteverde or 2 1/2-3hrs to Arenal. 5-6hrs to MA from Arenal.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Suzie2 is right. The time it takes to get to beaches like Tamrindo from Arenal is probably the same as from Arenal to Monteverde, BUT, somehow, with the new bridge, crossing over to Guancaste and the drive there is less tiring and easier. From friends and family I have heard at least 2 who thought the drive to Monteverde was not worth it, while everyone loves the beaches of Guanacaste and didn't find the drive too bad. Also, near the beach it seems the days are a little longer and you can enjoy more of the day, whereas in Monteverde, the day is shorter because of the climate. Personally, I am not a big beach person, and I prefer the mountains, but no doubt, Manuel Antonio is a wonderful place with many activities to choose from.
Pura Vida
Neta
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Some people are beach people and some like both. To me Monteverde is always worth it. One of the times I don't recommend it is when people don't have time to really appreciate it. It is crowded at times but the sense of community up there is what I love. Just a little town on top of a mountain where people can really get to know one another. My son lived up there for several months and I have spent several weeks up there. Cloud forests in themselves are very unique and if you are interested in nature definitely something to visit.
I suppose climate could affect day length in that the clouds might make the day seem shorter but then again, it is a cloud forest. Day length is pretty much 13 hrs a day year round because of Costa Ricas proximity to the equator. Temperatures are pretty much stable too except for a slight cooling during the rainy season due to more cloud cover.
I am sure Neta knows more about the Guanacaste beaches. I have lived up by Flamingo/Potrero/Conchal and visited further north but have not gone to many of the others because they are more surfer oriented. I will be going to Samara/Carrillo in a few weeks as I have heard it has a nice swimming beach and is not too crowded. There are some beautiful hotels on the Nicoya Peninsula like Capitan Suizo, Islita, Flor Blanca, Tambor if that is what you are looking for. Do remember that getting back to the airport will take longer.
Neta, do get down to the Osa. It is a wonderful place.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Suzie,
I am new to the forum, so maybe I should be more careful with what I say. I didn't mean Monteverde is not worth it, I meant just exactly what you said - if there is not enough time to appreciate it, then it is not worth it (and it actually gives the place a bad reputation, because in a short time people can't really appreciate it).
Just to make my point clearer for Shanah, I think it is better in this case to stick to Arenal/central valley/Manuel Antonio plan and not go to Guanacaste (perhaps next time!). From my experience and those of friends and family, it is usually a bad idea to try to do too much in a short time, unless you are a kind of traveler who doesn't like to stay in the same place for more than 1 night (I know some people like that, who need a vacation after they are back from a vacation!).
In any case, I really want to go down to Osa, I have an open invitation from Geiner Guzman from La Cusinga Lodge (http://www.lacusingalodge.com/), but I am very busy these days.
Good luck and Pura Vida.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your comments. So Im thinking Monteverde vs Arenal now?? I really want to go to Manuel Antonio- I guess Im mostly a rainforest person- I have the beaches in CA. (my husband is a beach person). Would it be best go to MA first from San Jose (we arrive 8:30AM) -stay for 4 nights then go to Arenal for 3 nights? Tabacon resort sounds good because of the Springs, what other hotels do you all recommend? The main thing in Monteverde I wanted to do was the canopy- Im sure Arenal or MA would have a good one as well? We don't need to be moving around a lot and would like to really appreciate each place. Also what is the difference between the Interbus and private van? any recommendations? thanks again
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Neta
Welcome to the board. I am sure you will have a lot to offer. Actually living there will give you some insite that those of us still waiting to live there can only guess about. I only have my month or so down there every year to work with.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Shanah, The Original Canopy Tour operates a tour right in the Arenal area so if it is one of the primary reasons for going to Monteverde you could just do it from Arenal. It is kind of neat because you end up just outside the Tabacon hot springs and entrance to the springs is included.
For a walking canopy tour, Hanging Bridges just beyond Tabacon just over the dam are beautiful. At great expense they have built a beautiful area to visit right down to pavers on the road.
Regarding hotels in Arenal...as Neta mentioned, there is more talk than substance to Tabacon according to many people who have stayed there. Have heard breakfast is good but dinner is very so so. The hot springs are definitely worth a visit. Arenal Paraiso is very nice, Montana de Fuego is very similar and they are right next door to each other. Also, they are in the best viewing area for the lava. If you prefer to be away from things, Arenal Lodge and the Observatory lodge are nice places. Tours will cost a little more from those two lodges.
A couple of options for Manuel Antonio...RioSPAraiso or Rainmaker for canopy tours. Both have web sites you can look at.
The nice thing about Manuel Antonio is that you can have your rainforest and your husband can have his beach.
As far as the order you pick in visiting these places. Up to you. I live in a colder climate so like to save my beach time for last so I can come home with that warm fuzzyness. I also go to the cooler areas first because I adjust to the warmer temps in CR better that way. Arenal can still be pretty warm during the day.
Haven't used Interbus myself. Web site doesn't offer any prices that I have seen so I just use private van, taxi, Fantasy Bus,local bus, or fly.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I used Interbus to get from the Hampton Inn to La Fortuna and was happy with their service ($25 pp). They use small air-conditioned vans and will make a stop mid-way to use restrooms and get refreshments. To check their fares, go to http://www.costaricapass.com/default.asp, select your origin and destination and press "Go."
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks TAG! I haven't seen that web site before. Only one I have seen didn't have prices!
Will definitely consider using them now that I have more info.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

well, I booked my flight and we get in 8:30am (8/7)) to San Jose then leave 6:30PM (8/15)- So I actually have 9 days! Still think I should skip Monteverde? It seems that if you go to Arenal from Monteverde it's a lot easier than Monteverde to Arenal. Is 5 nights too much in Manuel Antonio? then 2 in Arenal. Still trying to pick hotels-hard decisions.Thanks again for the help.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I think 2 nights in Arenal and Monteverde is perfect, but 5 nights in Manuel Antonio is not too much time either. I don't personally think you should skip Monteverde. We absolutely loved it. We stayed at Sapo Dorado and were very happy. It's not fancy, but the cabins are cozy, the food and service are great. Makanda is an incredibly beautiful place. We stayed there for 5 nights on our honeymoon and loved every minute of it! We also stayed at Tabacon. It was convenient, in being so close to the hot springs, but the accommodations were not special, but very basic.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cassidy- So what was your itinerary like? Did you do all three places in one trip. Im looking into Makanda as well.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM

We stayed the 1'st night just outside San Jose at Xandari, 1 night at Tabacon, 2 nights at Sapo Dorado and a wk in Manuel Antonio. We were suppose to have spent 2 of the 7 nights in Montezuma, but because it was Easter week, we were told it would be way to rushed (crowded, etc.) to squeeze it in. Instead of adding 2 more nights to Makanda, we decided to stay 1 night at La Mariposa and 1 at Si Coma No. We're a little obsessed w/ hotels and also had long debates over all these hotels before ultimately choosing Makanda. We were very happy with our choice, but the 2 others were also beautiful.