Please Help regarding Montevideo/Colonia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on vacation in Buenos Aires we are am interested in visiting Colonia at the end of our trip. We will be a family of 4. I have read the hydrofoil costs about 100.00 round trip from Buenos Aires per person. However, we can fly for free from Buenos Aires to Montevideo.(airline employee).

For a 1 night/1 day trip to Colonia, would it be a huge hassle for us to fly to Montevideo and do the bus to and from Colonia? We are interested in keeping a budget but is it too much out of our way to go thru montevideo. Please give me your opinion and advice. Thanks.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

One more time to the top ..Thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM

I won't be much help to you, because I was so underwhelmed by Colonia. I personally wouldn't make much of an effort to visit. The hydrofoil is like sitting in a plane, there is no sensation of speed. I probably would have liked the slow boat, a little more.
So, I hope that you get opinions to the contrary, if you are determined to make the effort.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Hi, I think you have the price wrong,
if you pay in pesos, there is a promotion and it comes out cheaper.
So the real price would be in the fast
hydrofoil like 50-60 dollars round trip . I traveled a few days ago.
( If you are still wondering it is like this they say the price is for instance
10 dollars but they give a promotional rate and the it comes to
20 pesos. While if you change the 10 dollars in the free market you get 30 pesos. Something like this.
By bus from Colonia to Montevideo it takes a little more than two hours.
(180 kilometers)
But consider that BS AS has two airports one is close the other one is far, very far. Then there are the airport taxes , you have to find out how much it is for Uruguay from Buenos Aires and from Buenos Aires to Uruguay.
( air port taxes en both countries are smaller for neighboring countries.
I hope you can make the right choice.
( I am going to check if the promotion is still on for US Citizens or if it is only for locals)

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Also check with buquebus.com
the promotional packages they have for Colonial, including the hotel + probably they are your best bet.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

thank you. We are flying into eze...we can continue onto montevideo at no extra charge...do colonia and then go to buenos aires (eze) from montevideo airport. Just wondering if that would be worth it. Or option two. go to buenos aires...do day trip or overnight trip to colonia via boat/ferry. Or not go to colonia at all. Thanks for the answers above,,,I will check that website for deals.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hi jl315.......... when are you going?
That makes a big difference because is you are going now during the Summer down there, I would tell you to fly to Montevideo, from there to catch a bus to Punta del Este and to spend a few days there. If you like beaches.
I do not know if you will care for Colonia, it is a little tiny colonial town.
May be the boys would have more fun in a estancia, nearby Buenos Aires, or in El Tigre, they have lots of things there that they might enjoy. A big park with all kind of games, you can take a boat around the many little islands, etc.
Cintia although you will have to pay her for the tour , you been a big family it will be worth it, it will not be that much and for instance if you go to Tigre with her you can have a very nice time.