Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Please help! Must decide by Monday between Iberostar Dominicana and RIU Playacar

Please help! Must decide by Monday between Iberostar Dominicana and RIU Playacar

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Suzi

We haven't been to Punta Cana or Playa del Carmen before and must decide! My husband and I want great beaches and food, and our daughters, 17 and 19, want nice pools and activities and nightlife! Please send comments, we appreciate your help!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Diane

I've stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana and the Mayan Riviera (not Riu Playacar). I'll try to give you an overview and a few other websites to try. First of all Punta Cana has the most spectacular beaches I've ever seen (26 miles of uninterrupted white sand beach with palm trees...sometimes right down to the water's edge). However, the area has only be developed for about 10-15 years and there are no large towns nearby for shopping, etc. There is a smallish town/shopping centre about an hour walk south of the Iberostar Dominicana that is sort of an outdoor mall with some local bars, etc. but it's fairly small. Still very interesting, though. There are tents set up on the beach about 15 minutes away (you can see them) with local artists. The food at the Iberostar was fantastic, the pool extremely nice and the disco was a lot of fun (very sensual merengue dancing and the disco was lively when I was there). Punta Cana attracts a LOT of europeans and we enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. Because your activities come mainly from the resort staff, they make a real effort to have lots going on. If you choose Punta Cana, you won't be unhappy.

Now, the Mayan Riviera is very different because there are lots of things to do outside your resort...mayan ruins, Playa del Carmen (extremely "hopping" quaint little town with lots of bars/shopping), Cozumel for a day trip, etc. The RIU resorts are all located in a small resort area that is right next door to Playa Del Carmen....called Playacar district. You can walk from the RIU's into town in about 20 minutes. 5th Avenue is where you'll find all sorts of great nightlife/bars/shopping/restaurants. I can't comment directly on the RIU Playacar but I've heard it's nice. For actual reviews, visit these websites:
www.caribbeanopinion.com/
www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com
www.cancunandrivieramaya.com

If it was just a great beach, I'd choose Punta Cana...hands down. However, the resort you pick should suit the teenagers too. We enjoyed the Iberostar Dominicana and so did the teenagers...yours might be just fine. For more "outside the resort" stuff, the Mayan Riviera might be better and I know the teenagers will love the nightlife in Playa Del Carmen. Good luck!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Suzi

Diane-
Thank you for you very informative answer! We were about to dedide on Playa, and after reading your info, we're leaning heavily toward Punta Cana. I really don't know if I'd feel comfortable with the girls going into town alone at night, and Punta Cana will eliminate that possibility. Will our 17 year old be able to get in to the disco? Thanks again!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Diane

I think that a 17 year old should have no problem. Our (than 15) year old even managed to get in a few times when she was in the middle of the crowd. They seem to be quite relaxed if you look old enough to be there. Have fun!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Diane

One more thing, check out recent reviews at www.debbiesdominicantravel.com and see what the latest is on the resort. Keep in mind that you will see negative reviews mixed in with positive reviews but keep reading to get an overall "feel" for the resorts you want to choose from. I love the Iberostar chain and think you will love it too!!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
linda

We went to Punta Cana two years ago and stayed at the Iberostar. It was the worst vacation ever. The food was terrible. We ended up getting very sick. I will say that the beach is beautiful