Search

Playa del Carmen

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa del Carmen

Hi, I am going to Playa del Carmen with a large group and we have to choose an activity for our one day of free time. Our choices include a day at Tres Rios, a tour of Tulum ruins, snorkel in Cozumel, 5th Ave. shopping, or a spa treatment at Royal Hideaway, the resort where we will be staying. Which would you choose? We are only going to be there for 3 nights and they have filled all of our other time with meetings and dinners. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:43 PM
ww

Just got back from Cancun last night. We did all the activities you mentioned except the spa treatment was at Spa Palace. <BR>Tulum is a half day trip unless you really want to spend a lot of time at the ruins. You could spend time at the beach at Tulum.<BR>Snorkeling at Cozumel was great.<BR>Tres Rios offers various activities. If you get the all inclusive package, you can do horseback riding, canoeing, speed boating, biking and other activities. This may give your group more things to do for one day.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I just wish that I didn't have to choose only one of these activities. I'm thinking if I choose the time at the spa maybe I'll have extra time and while the others are doing the longer activities I could be enjoying my time at the resort. What do you think?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM

We're going to Playa in April, and after doing a ton of research, I would recommend going to Tulum for half the day, then going to Xel Ha for snorkeling (they're both very close, so you can do both in the same day).<BR><BR>This way, you can go snorkeling (definitely not to be missed in Playa). As for shopping on 5th, unless the 2 other days are booked morning to night, I would just go when you have a free hour. Same goes for the spa treatment, you could do it when you have a spare hour during the trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi, We finally decided on an agenda. We will snorkel at Xel-Ha and get the spa treatment the next day. I'm really looking forward to spending as much time as possible at the resort. Does anyone know about the prices across the street at the mall? Is this a good place to purchase gifts to bring home such as hammocks, jewelry, etc.. And do they take US dollars?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:21 PM

If you are talking about Plaza Playacar across from Royal Hideaway, I didn't see any bargains. I also don't recall seeing any hammocks when we were there just two weeks ago. There were stores with hammocks on 5th Avenue. It is a cute little shopping center with some nice stuff but touristy.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:22 PM

From what I can tell, they took U.S. dollars every where in Playa.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM

They should be able to take US dollars everywhere, anyways there are ATM's downtown, so you could take out Pesos if you prefer.<BR><BR>For Xel Ha, try to get there early (9am), it will be quieter that way. Also, most people say to get the all-inclusive package, you'll get food,drinks, snorkelling equipment included...
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:32 AM

Just a comment regarding U.S. dollars.<BR>They will, of course, accept U.S. dollars many places but you will usually lose on these transactions since the exchange will normally be at much less than the official rate. When in a foreign country, I always feel its best to use that countries currency.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM

Hi, angiedora,<BR> the little mall right across from the Royal Hideaway is a royal ripoff. A 20-25 minute walk or a 30-40 peso cab ride will take you to the zocalo in town (main shopping area), where you will find much, much more variety and better deals. Just turn right when you leave the resort gates and the zocalo is just past the Continental plaza hotel and the ferry marina - or ask the cabbie to take you to the &quot;centro commercial&quot;.<BR> Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. We will go into town and shop on 5th. I am having royal fits, lol. Only 5 more days!!