Reload this Page >

Planning South American trip... Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Lev

Hi, <BR>There seems to be a very attractive package<BR>with smarTours: 16 days Brazil-Argentina-Chile & Lake Crossing. Is SmarTours a good company? Please share you experince...<BR>There are a few companies that offer package deals in South America. Which one do you recommend? I'd like to visit Rio, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls,Bariloche with Lake crossing..<BR>Thanks. Lev.<BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:24 PM
x

That is a lot in 16 days...do you plan to return to South America? Personally I would hit one country at a time...just my 2 cents.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
sandy

I am usually an independent traveler but last year, I went to Vietnam/Cambodia w/ST, as I could not do it myself as inexpensively as they could. I figured worst case, I could just stick with the tour for hotels and transportation.<BR><BR>I was VERY surprised, the tour was delux and GREAT in every way. The guides were fantastic and the group of people was outstanding. No one was late, no one whined, everyone was upbeat and most were repeat ST travelers.<BR><BR>In Nov, I made another trip with them to India/Nepal and again, the guides, hotel, food, group was just wonderful.<BR><BR>Personally, I wouldn't go to South America with them because I speak Spanish and know how to travel in that part of the world. But, I can without reservation recommend them for the two trips I've been on. <BR><BR>Buen viaje,<BR>Sandy

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've also travelled with Smartours, but to Scandinavia and found them very satisfactory. In fact, we are considering using them to travel to S. America. If you go, please write and let us know how it was. Liane
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:09 AM

I would not even consider trying to do that much in 16 days. You will spend half ypur time going to and from airports and on scrotty coaches.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:35 AM

This very same tour must be marketed by different companies. I first found it a couple of years ago under &quot;Friendly Planet&quot;. It sounded good to me, but once you add it up, including visas, air add-ons, etc, it is expensive. Well, it is expensive for me, anyway!
And - BIG deal to me - no Patagonia or penguins! (I have this longing to see the big birds in person)
I suggest you find a TA based in SA - and tell them what you want to see and you will probably find it is much cheaper and will fit your needs and desires more.
Good luck!