Place to Stay between San Jose and Tabacon

Jun 11th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Place to Stay between San Jose and Tabacon

We are first timers and will be arriving mid-day tomorrow (YAY!)in San Jose and driving straight to Tabacon. In the event we are delayed and it starts getting dark, are there any decent inns/hotels/motels to stay overnight on the way (e.g., in the towns of San Ramon, La Tigra, Chachagua, or any others we will pass through)? Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Keefmick,
What do you mean by "midday"? Noon or 2:30? If arriving at noon, there should be no problem at all. Anytime after 2:00 will put you driving after dark--you don't want to do that!

There are a couple of places right on the road. I think they are past San Ramon. We've driven by there 5 or 6 times, and one place I am thinking of in particular in on the east side of the road, but its name escapes me. I'll look at some "stuff" I have and seen if I can find it.

Of course, you could always just stay at Alajuela (someplace like Vida Tropical, $35 per night), spend the afternoon looking around town, then leave the next morning and arrive by noon. Alajuela is only about 10 or 15 minutes from the airport, and is a neat little town in itself. You could use this time to drive to Sarchi and Grecia, also interesting towns.
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:17 AM

San Ramon is the only town I actually remember driving through. Most towns we encountered were minute with little activity for people passing through. San Ramon, on the other hand, is actually quite sizeable with lots of shops, grocery stores, restaurants and, presumably, hotels.

The town is also built on to the side of a mountain, which means great views and great exercise.

Plus, you'll also be close by to visit the Los Angeles Cloud Forest Reserve, which is supposed to rival its larger, more touristed cousin at Monteverde.
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

monamanuel--we land at 12:40pm and then plan to rent a 4x4 and off we go--do you think that is sufficient time to get to Tabacon before dark? if not, how bad is say the last 30 minutes of driving b/c if we get within 30 minutes or so of Tabacon I would be tempted to finish it up if not terrible
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

sorry--I meant Shillmac
Jun 11th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

what time is it too dark to drive?
Jun 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM

keefmick,
We did this drive on Christmas Day. Arrived at 2:00 p.m. By the time we cleared customs (and it was particularly busy which it shouldn't be right now) and got out of the rental office after signing papers, it was about 4:00. It is said the drive is 3 hours, but it seems like we made it in about 2.5. We had to drive the last little bit in the dark, but we forged on--with care. It is a very direct road. Once you are in La Fortuna, you make a left and the road will take you straight to Tabacon in about 10 minutes. So, with a 12:40 arrival, you will be JUST FINE. No worries. You should arrive easily by 5:30 or 6:00. Dark happens quite suddenly about 5:45 or close to 6:00--every day of the year! This road, as someone mentioned, takes you through the Los Angeles Cloud Forest where you will literally be driving in the clouds with poor visibility. You will be WELL through that area by 4:30. Enjoy your trip! You're leaving early in the morning--tomorrow?
Jun 11th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the response shillmac--you are extremely helpful--we leave tomorrow morning from Miami arriving in San Jose at 12:45pm and on to Tabacon!--thanks again
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Have a great time! Pura vida!
Jun 11th, 2004, 07:39 PM
koa

Hey keefmick, let me know how the drive was. Will be making that same drive, arriving in SJO at 12 noon. I downloaded directions from the Tabacon Resort web site. The best directions I have found!
Jun 11th, 2004, 07:45 PM

For whatever it's worth to whomever it's worth, I located the name of the hotel I was thinking about. It is Hotel Valle Escondido and on the road to Arenal probably about 30-45 minutes north of San Ramon. If any of you get in later than expected or end up needing a place to stay for whatever reason, this would be a good option for you. There is very little in the way of hotels on the road to Arenal (unless you get off to the side a few km at one of 2 or 3 fairly expensive places). This one is on the right as you travel north.