Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Wife and I are in our 40s. We love exploring caves and jungles and senotes and we love snorkeling or playing in the waves depending on where we are, great dining(inexpensive or not), laying on a beautiful beach with great food and drink service. We love great beach bars and, descent shopping and ATVing, and swimming. We arent into really crowded beaches with screaming little kids and people so close to you, that you can hear every cough and conversation. We'd love to go to a place like Sayulita but we've read in a million places that people are getting sick there because of a virus that hasn't gone away in forever, or unsanitary conditions of the river that flows into the ocean and swimming beach there.

We don't want to be near giant all inclusives and high rise hotels.

Places we've already been

Puerto vallarta- great but to crowded and touristy for this next trip
The Mayan Riviera - Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Akumal, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen (all fun but want something different)
Mazatlan
Cabo San Lucas

Want to go to Puerto Escondido because it seems like exactly what were looking for but it's a giant pain in the Butt to get to from Denver and very expensive. With stops and everything else its a 12-15 hour day of travel.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<love to go to a place like Sayulita but we've read in a million places that people are getting sick there because of a virus that hasn't gone away in forever, or unsanitary conditions of the river that flows into the ocean and swimming beach there.>

Well I don't know what "million places" you are reading, but those things aren't true about Sayulita. That said it is much more crowded and developed than what you say you want. Also no cenotes there.

Your request somewhat contradicts itself.

For "hidden gems" and getting somewhere that the beaches are not crowded, no high rises or all-inclusives, you need to go more remote. Which will take more effort (exactly like you found for getting to Puerto Escondido).
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Have you thought of a small condo type place on Half Moon Bay next to Akumal Bay? There are some that are very nice and not very touristy.
As far as beautiful beaches, cenotes, caves and snorkeling, you really should focus on the east coast in the Mayan. Maybe further south like Mahahual (or even Belize). Other wise you are on the pacific and wont have those kind of white sand, aqua water, not even in Puerto Escondido.
As far as Sayulita goes, I too have heard tonnes about the sickness there and people are really backing away. Don't know what it is or if it's sort of blown out of proportion, but it is definitely a things that is out there right now that lots of people are talking about.
Good luck
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:43 PM

Good suggestion from maried, I stayed on Half Moon Bay my last two trips and we just visited Akumal early am and for Happy Hour. Akumal was declared a reserve a month or two ago and it was just announced a day or two ago that there will be a moratorium imposed on the commercial tours to hopefully give the bay a chance to recover. This will not impact people staying there or those who visit on their own and unlikely to impact the small tours done by the dive shop.
You could also check out Puerto Morelos, which still has a small fishing village charm.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM

You don't mention having been to Mexico City, so if Puerto Escondido is your preference, why not combine it with an overnight in the DF on each end? I recently did this on a trip to Baja and it worked out well for me. I actually got to see quite a lot in the city, in addition to activities in/on the water in my final destination.
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:01 AM

Caves, jungle, Maya sites, waterfalls, river and horse trips and the largest barrier reef in the hemisphere? Belize, of course
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too was thinking of Belize when I read you post. It has everything you are looking for.