Peru Ten Days

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru Ten Days

We are four active seniors and wouldlike to consider Peru , in January ,due to the wonderful air fare bargains. We have not been to any of the sight and always enjoy a boat trip as part of our vacation. Can extend a day or two if necessary. Flying back to Miami. Looking for three star and above hotels
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM

January 2010? Who knows what the airfares will be like then.

If you're considering Lima be aware that it is a big noisy city, but interesting for a few days. Most people go to see Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley and that will add from $200 to $400 for the airfare, plus several at least $120 more for the train and admission to MP. Also you need to be able to do steps.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Did this Jan 2009 had a blast..

Flew www.spiritair.com FLL LIM $88 fees each way $239 total

www.peruforless.com Susanna

set up everything pretty cheap

you can boat at

Paracas the Galapagos of Peru

and Titicaca Lake...

In 10 days did Cusco MP Titicaca Arequipa/Colca Nasca Paracas

Had a blast...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM

My husband and I want to go to Peru this summer but have no clue where to go and what to do, so I came here as usual to get some smart ideas...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM

With the new forums you can click tag = Peru and then there are Trip Reports, a good starting point, often there are photographsy posted.

Fodors has destination guides.

#1 for pretty much everyone is Cusco and the Sacred Valley, including Machu Picchu allow at least a week minimum to fully enjoy. Lima is worthwhile for a few days.

After that read the reports for other ideas.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM

We spent quite a bit of time in Peru last year. Here is a link to our blog with photo and more details of our trip.

Highlights for me were:
Treking from Lares to Ollantaytambo (doable if reasonably fit) - three days
The Sacred Valley - Ollantaytambo and Pisac particularly
Arequipa - a beautiful town and the convent is superb
As you say you like boat trips, Lae Titicaca is definitely worth considering

Personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by Machu Picchu but to be fair, the weather was lousy and I had a bout of food poisoning the day we visited, so I wasn't in the best frame of mind!!

One of our regrets was that we did not pay a visit to the Amazon (Manu) but it is a huge country and it is difficult to do it all.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I went to Peru and had a great time!! The best time to travel is from mid march to mid october because it's not rainy season. For 10 days, i suggest you the following itinerary:

Day 1: Arrival in Lima
Day 2: Tour around Lima
Day 3: Boat trip to Ballestas islands in Paracas/Ica and lunch in the Huacachina natural oasis
Day 4: Nasca Lines
Day 5: Flight to Cusco and stay at Sacred Valley for better acclimatization to the altitude (i recommend this)
Day 6: Chinchero andean town + Mara salt mines + Moray agricultural system (this is a really nice tour)
Day 7: Sacred Valley (from Pisac to Ollantaytambo)
Day 8: Machu Picchu!! (taking train from Ollantaytambo)
Day 9: Tour around Cusco
Day 10: Flight to Lima

To avoid dealing with many operators, Intense Peru designed and organized my trip itinerary for a reasonable price. Everything was wonderful... I enjoyed so much going to Peru.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM

My husband and I went to Peru this past October and had a great time! We did all the planning ourselves except for our tour of Lake Titicaca, which we booked with All Ways Travel in Puno. They came highly recommended here on Fodors and we found them to be excellent!

Our itinerary was:
- Flew into Lima from DC, then took the first flight next morning to Cuzco
- Driver from our hotel in Ollantaytambo picked us up and drove us to the Sacred Valley. We stayed 3 nights at Hotel Pakaritampu - it was excellent and I think its the nicest place to stay in Ollantaytambo. It's a 3 minute walk down the street to catch the train to Machu Picchu and easy to walk around. We LOVED Ollantaytambo!
- On to Cuzco for 2 nights - we really loved it here but wish we had stayed 3 or 4 nights. We stayed in a nice hotel - Hostal Rumi Punku - though not 3 or 4 stars as you might like. For that, I'd recommend the Monasterio, which is beautiful, luxurious, and walking distance to the main plaza.
- Then on to Puno and Lake Titicaca - we booked a 1st class bus called Inka Express which you can find online. The all-day trip from Cuzco to Puno made 5 stops and also stopped for lunch. It was an enjoyable day and we arrived fresh at 5:30 pm in Puno.
- We spent a night in Puno, then did an overnight homestay on Amantani in Lake Titicaca, then spent a 3rd night in Puno. The homestay on Amantani was a highlight of our trip! As I said, All Ways Travel was excellent, and you can find them online as well.
- From there we took the Cruz del Sur bus to Arequipa for 3 days. This was also booked through All Ways Travel - $19 per person for the 4 hour trip. We loved Arequipa and stayed at Casa Arequipa, a beautiful B&B in a nice quiet neighborhood. Here we visited the historic 16th century Convent and also the Museo de Sanctuario, home of "Juanita" the Inca Princess who was sacrificed to the Gods. I thought this was really interesting.
- Then on to Lima for 2 nights and we stayed at the JW Mariott in Miraflores.

Personally, I would have been very happy with having ended my trip in Arequipa. But it was really a great trip and one that can easily planned on your own without a travel agent, if you have a little patience with email. Everything I mentioned can be googled, but please let me know if you need direct websites. I'm happy to help. Good luck with the planning.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Just spent 11 days in Peru, and returned on the 3rd March. We thought Lima was somewhat boring, maybe worth visiting a couple of museums, anyway just stayed overnight at our arrival and at our departure. The remaining 9 days we spent in Cusco.

Wife and I are in our early 60's and we really felt the height. Even taking a shower made us gasp for breath in the first days. Basically breathing difficulty, no nauseas or headaches. I guess the coca tea helped.

The first three days we went very gently walking around the main square, visiting some museums, and hired a driver to visit Sacsayuaman, Qenco, Puka-Pukara and Tambomachay.

Fourth driver tooks us to a couple of less significant sites (all included in the passport you have to buy at a cost of 135 soles) and to Tipon which is really worth visiting since it is almost 90% intact. It has superb hydraulic works and agricultural terracing which still work.

5th day drive took us to Chinchero, Maras-Moray and the Salt mines. Moray and the Salt mines are really worth the effort.

6th day again free in Cusco.

7th day the Sacred valley with Pisac and Ollantaytambo.

8th day - Machu Picchu: left Cusco in the 6:50 train and got back in the last train from Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo. The driver picked us up at Ollantaytambo and brought us back to Cusco.

9th day flight to Lima.