safety concerns in playa del carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to PLC in December with two adult children & their families. In view of the recent events, do we have any reason to be concerned about safety when we go into town? We've been there before & felt perfectly safe.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM
KVR

We've been to Playa del Carmen twice and that general area 9 times total. We've never had any issues with safety and wouldn't hesistate to return again. Just stay in the tourist areas and use common sense. Don't do anything or go to any areas you wouldn't at home. Most of the reports are regarding non-tourist areas of Mexico or people making stupid decisons while on vacation.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I strongly second KVR. We have been there many times and have never felt at risk.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM
P_M

The problems in Mexico are primarily in border towns. I've been to the Yucatan many times and I've never felt unsafe. I think you'll be fine, just use your usual common sense.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM

I live in PDC part time and have no qualms about going. I am usually there by myself. Just got back a couple of weeks ago and nothing has changed. I'm going back again in two weeks.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is nothing reported going on in Cancun or Playa del Carmen. What you are hearing about in the news has to do with inner workings of drug cartel and politics of Mexico, mostly along border towns.

It has nothing to do with tourists.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Hey, you're planning for December.... there's nothing to worry about in that region right now but you might want to check the news in the weeks before you go.

I'm not scaremongering (and I'm actually going to Mexico in November) but it's sensible to have up to date information on safety before you travel anywhere. I wouldn't go to somewhere 'safe' like Hawaii if the volcano had just spewed a ton of lava and the whole island was covered with vog.