Search

Peru for a novice LA traveler in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru for a novice LA traveler in May

Hey all-
hoping someone could give me an initial brief on travel in areas like Peru.
Best ways to travel (car, tour, taxi) how transport works best (book ahead?), how to get from airport to hotel and where from Lima to go to acclimate to the elevation change before hitting Macchu Picchu?
I love hiking, scenery, ethnic cuisine, etc. so a suggestion of where to get the best foods would be awesome as well.
Cheers
Brooke
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Brooke, you will have a wonderful time in Peru. Beautiful country and very interesting. I stayed at the Antigua Miraflores in Lima. It was clean, comfortable and very conveniently located. I also felt very safe there. I flew by Lan Chile to Cuzco and stayed there for two days acclimating to the altitude. From there I went to Aguas Calientes and stayed at the Pueblo hotel which was wonderful (great room and food) before taking the morning bus ride up to Machu Picchu. I traveled with three friends and Lost World Adventures handled everything for us (cars, drivers, pickups, accomodations, tickets) for around $1000 per person not including flights. I highly recommend them.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. my travel partner has flaked out at the last minute which college girls will, occasionally so unfortunately unless I can find someone else willing to go somewhere outside the box, i may not get to see beautiful Peru
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Brooke, I saw your other posting about looking for an adventure travel companion. I am much older than you but I finally decided if I wanted to go, I might as well do it alone. My friends were never able to muster time and $$$ at the same time. I have been all over the world alone and never regretted it for a minute. If you are still reluctant to go to Peru alone, call Lost World Adventures and ask if there is small group going with which you could hook up. Don't wait for your friends to come. Many of my friends who were going to come along no longer can. Some of them are dead, some disabled...you get the picture. If you have the time, the money and the ability, GO.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:01 PM

Brooke, you may want to check out this month's issue of National Geographic Traveler...special article about solo travel.