Peru - binoculars for Machu Picchu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to pack light and cutting out any extraneous items. Are binoculars something that would be especially appreciated at MP (or anywhere else in the area -- Sacred Valley, etc.) or would they be something I can leave home?

I know it's sort of a personal decision but anyone who has an opinion please weigh in - thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Jed

I would say that anything worth seeing you could walk, climb, or hike to. I never felt binoculars were necessary.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Jed -- not sure what youwould want/need to look at those close.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Only if you're going to the jungle or are an avid birder.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Saved me half a pound or so -- thanks. Good to know not to bring them.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Definitely leave 'em at home.

However, if your wanting to know a few items that you should take ..... then don't forget to bring "Ocean" (nasal saline solution), as trekking around in MP and other ruins can stir up alot of dust/dirt. Also, a good idea to bring along eye drops (same reason) AND leave your contacts at home; opt for the ole glasses, if needed.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tess. Had thought of eyedrops but not nasal saline.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
And sunscreen is essential! As is a hat. And some insect repellent. I agree about leaving the binoculars at home. Your camera, though, is another matter...
Karen
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:00 AM

One more thing - you'll find my complete packing list in my trip report - and it worked pretty well for our 10 days in Peru.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Karen -
I did print your packing list when I came across it early in my planning. Very good list!

Can't remember - did you say you had purchased an alpaca sweater and was it by any chance on the train where they do the fashion show? Wondering if there's anywhere in particular that is a good place to shop for sweaters. Have read about trying to get the real thing and not blended alpaca/acrylic - not sure if I'd know the difference.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM

I did buy a sweater on the train. They're very expensive, though. I also bought two more (one for my sister and a second one for me) at the "Alpaca Factory". It's just outside of Cusco right along the road - there are llamas right outside the door on the sidewalk (we stopped on the way back from Sacsayhuaman). They're really pretty. At the Alpaca Factory, a woman gave me the spiel on the difference between baby alpaca (the animal's first clipping - which is the softest), regular alpaca, and blends. She had samples so you could feel them. I'm delighted with the sweaters I got. There were some in town also. The more expensive shops, I'm sure, had genuine (or baby) alpaca. The ones at the tourist stands were most likely a blend - and much cheaper, although some were pretty - just not quite as classy as the more expensive ones. The one I got on the train was over $100. The ones from the Alpaca Factory, both cardigans and both with really pretty colors and details, were around $70 or $80. They were baby alpaca. There were TONS of choices - so prob worth a stop, esp if you're going to Sacsyhuaman anyway.
Karen
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

I think I saw that Alpaca Factory on a recent Samantha Brown travel show on Cusco. I was wishing I had written down the name of the place -- they had alpacas (one variety with really long, draping fur that touched the ground - looked like a car wash)outside. I'll definitely try to stop there.

I get a catalog in the mail once in a while full of sweaters from Peru and they're beautiful but VERY expensive -- like over $300 minimum. So I'm hoping to find something while in Peru -- $100 or less would be a bargain compared to that! I only hope the person running that business gives the majority of the proceeds to the women making the sweaters - I think she claims to but who knows.