personal driver recommendations??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (six of us) will need a driver to take us from San Jose to Quepos in Jan 2005. We are a fun bunch of late 30s/early 40s people that like to party and want a driver who is fun, has moderate english skills, and most importantly has a great sense of humor! Does anyone know of such a driver, and if so, can we get the contact info?
Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM

Several years ago we were introduced to Carlos! and we've used him since as have all our "crazy" friends. Great guy, fun loving and very bilingual!! You can call him in San Jose from the states 011 (506) 240-2727 (home) or cell 384-4042. Email [email protected]

Tell him Lisa & Harry in Manuel Antonio say hello!

Lisa
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Lisa! I e-mailed Carlos and will let you know what happens.
Thanks again,
Dee Dee
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
toucan

I can also recommend Carlos. Great guy, very trustworthy. speaks very good english too. Last time I talked with him he was considering moving to Dallas. Glad he didn't.

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:08 AM

DeeDee: If you don't get a response from Carlos right away, be patient. RACSA (our internet server) is a bit unreliable and s-l-o-w at times! I need to speak with Carlos today on another matter so I'll tell him to watch for your email.

Lisa
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and contacting Carlos. I'll let you know when he gets a hold of me.
Thanks again,
Dee Dee
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:03 PM

If you don't hear from Carlos, we used a wonderful driver in August with a large, comfortable van: Oscar Chavarria Mora, [email protected], cell- 373-2736. We used e-mail communication, but it did take a little while as most Ticos use internet cafes to get their mail. He was fun and we learned so much from him, Joyce
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM

I will second the motion for Oscar.

I used him last year for my full 9 days in the Central Valley and had a terrific time with him.

If you use Oscar tell him Percy says hello.
He just sent me an e-mail last week.

We stay in touch always.

percy
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 07:05 PM

If that doesn't work out and you would be interested in a driver and guide for the drive...we used Jorge Fernandez. He speaks great English. He had a driver and gave us a great introduction to CR culture and was great at finding birds on the drive. His email is [email protected].

Good luck
Maureen
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:47 AM
lvk

A third recommendation for Oscar.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:27 AM

We use a private driver frequently and really enjoy it. He has shown us so much that we might have missed on our own. I tell you this just so you will get the idea that it can be fun traveling with one. He will definitely have a cooler full of beer or otherwise waiting for you if you request it.

He previously worked for two well known tour companies until going out on his own. He is youngish (mid 30's and a lot of fun-enjoys a party as much as anyone although he is very serious about ecology and nature). He has been in the business for a long time and has a huge following so his availability is very limited. He has asked not to have his name put out generally because he was having trouble keeping up with inquiries. Most of his time is taken by private referals and quite frequently he travels with his customers as a guide as well. I can contact him to see if he is available at all during Jan. if you are interested. If it is just for a one day transfer he might be able to fit it in or have someone else he can call for you. An exact date would be helpful if you are interested.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hey everybody - thanks for the recommendations. I just heard back from Oscar and we are all set. I was surprised to see so many people that had not only used him but loved him!!
Thanks again for the info from everybody!!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I meant Carlos - not Oscar ;0)!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:11 AM

Hi,

I had a question so I just thought I would tack it on to this thread. Hope no one minds!!

I need a driver 12/29 - 1/4 and have tried both Carlos and Oscar and neither has returned calls/emails. Jorge Fernandez did get back to me, but says that he doesn't just drive he provides tours, mostly nature. Is there any "main" website or phone number I can call to find someone? Thanks
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM

I am realizing I posted Oscar's e-mail wrong..it should be: cuco2228@hotmailcom. I am so sorry. The cell is the one we used and was correct. Maybe you will have better luck now, Joyce
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
gac1yahoo

Hello..
If no one minds..what is the normal charge for the private drivers..? We'll be going as a family (4), looking into $$s...

I mean only driver not a guided tour operator.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:14 AM

I have seen private transports listed for between $90 and $150 depending on where you are going. If you get lucky you will have a combination tour guide/driver. Costa Ricans are very proud of their country and always eager to show it off.