Search

PDC- All-Inclusive or Not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDC- All-Inclusive or Not?

My boyfriend and I are looking to take a trip at the end of May. PDC seems to have what we want...beautiful beaches for me, lots of culture and activities for him. We typically travel more independently but are considering an AI b/c of the prices. We are looking at mostly 4 star properties priced at about $800 for the week. In order to get variety in restaurants it seems you have to stay at at least a 5* which is at least $1000/pp. Any comments regarding AI in PDC welcome!! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM

I guess it depends where you're flying from. There are loads of small hotels in Playa del Carmen that aren't very expensive. Also many, many very good restaurants. If I could get a real deal at a cheap all-inclusive in Playacar, I'd probably go for it, then eat most of my meals in town. It's only a five minute cab ride or a 30 minute or so walk from most of those resorts. We stayed at a very nice hotel in Playa del Carmen for $85.00 a night including breakfast. Not on the beach, but the price included a daily membership to a 'beach club' which was about 15 minute walk away. Jean
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Unless you drink from sunup to dawn I can not imagine how you can come out on a AI if you are the type of person that wants to get out and see things.
Having just got back from two weeks in PDC I can say with confidence that if you stay in a hotel located between 5th st and the ocean and from Juaraz to Constitution you will be delighted.
Down load a map of PDC and you will understand what I am saying.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:50 AM

dmotl, Flying from a small airport in the midwest, it can sometimes be cheaper to purchase a package to one of the cheaper all-inclusives than it is just to purchase a plane ticket to Cancun. That's the point I was trying to make about staying at a cheaper resort then eating in town. It wouldn't be my ideal vacation, but if the price was right..... Jean
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions Jean and dmotl!! Based on responses and research we decided to not do the AI...booked our airfare last night...now looking at some hotels. We'd like to be beachfront if possible...hoping for an authentically mexican feel w/ amenities. Playa Maya and the Hotel Riviera Caribe look neat...any other suggestions? Also looking into non-beachfront that might be a better deal...thanks again!! Kelley
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM

If Playa Maya has rooms available for your dates, it's a great location and has nice people working there. When we were in town last month, our friends stayed there, and we spent a fair amount of time at the bar there. Very nice wait staff. Good drinks too.

We stayed at La Tortuga, which is about two blocks from the beach. A little bit cheaper, but we had a nice room with a balcony. Nicely landscaped small pool, breakfast included (it is at Playa Maya too). But, no ocean view.

For less money, people seem to think Hotel Costa del Mar is ok. Right on the beach, I'm not sure how the views would be, the building sort of sits sideways. Very small pool. But, like I said, very cheap.

When you go searching for food, try some of the small Mexican places a few blocks off of the main drag (5th Avenue). Excellent food at really cheap prices. We've never gotten sick from eating at these places.