Search

Passport Concern

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport Concern

Hi,
I finally decided on where I going on vacation - Casa Caribe in Puerto Morelos, Mexico. I live ths Friday for one week. That's the good news. I was doing some research and came across an article about passports cautioning people to check with the destination's embassy/consulate about their rules. I went to the Government of Canada site (traveling to Mexico) and this is what it said:
In order to avoid delays and misunderstandings, we strongly recommend that you travel with a passport valid for six months after your arrival date.

My passport is valid until June 25/12. I'm in a bit of a panic. I think that I will be okay but can I need some reassurance. I didn't even know that there was a 6 month validation date. I figured that since I had until June 2012, I was okay.

Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
TC

You are ok. It's just a recommendation.....your passport is valid. No worries. Have fun.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was worrying about it but I'm glad to know that I'm okay.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM

On specifically Central American forums I've read that it's at the airline counters before you leave that you are sometimes rejected if your passport expires less than 6 months after your scheduled return. I'm leaving this summer for a trip to Guatemala and Belize and won't return until just under 6 months before my passport expires so I just sent it in for renewal.

I don't know if that applies to Mexico but you might want to check with your airline to be safe.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Okay, back to worrying. lol. I'm going to contact them tomorrow. I'm worried now b/c what happens if I do need to get it renewed? Is it possible to get it done in 3 days?!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM
TC

Mexico is not a problem, but call your airline so that you can sleep at night.

This is what it says:
"In order to avoid <u>delays and misunderstandings</u>, we <u>strongly recommend</u>"

It doesn't say -- you can't go if you don't have a passport good for 6 months. We go to Mexico every winter and no one at the airline even looks closely at the dates on our passports. They just want to see that you have one in hand. I have never seen anyone rejected. I hear stories every year about people who have shown up at the airport without their passport. The airlines work with them, they use other forms of ID.....no one wants a person to miss their holiday. DH has traveled on his passport right up until the day it expires without problem.

But...call the airline -- just be prepared for them to read to you the same quote from the Govt. web site. At this point in time there's really nothing you can do anyway.

Go....enjoy!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Instead of being granted a tourist visa for 180 days, you will get a shorter visa from the officer at the airport in Mexico. Which should not be an issue unless you plan to stay longer.
As TC said, call the airline; as they are likely to be the one to deny you to get aboard of their airplane!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Wake up call for everyone who has a passport. Many of us have friends, as I do, who have horror stories about not being able to go on a trip because they presented at the airport or cruise terminal with a passport with less than 6 months left on it, when the country or one of the countries they are going to requires it.

Everyone who values travel should get out their passport now and see how much time is left. I check ours every year on New Years day, every year, after having one friend in particular watch her 25th wedding anniverary dream trip disappear before her and her husband at the airport.