Panama in August - general questions

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama in August - general questions

We have been going to Costa Rica in August for the last few years and really got to love that country. During our last visit, however, we decided that some places in Costa Rica are getting too crowded and commercial and that it is time for a new destination.

We are seriously thinking about trying Panama instead. The trip would be for 2 weeks and because of our daughter's schedule, we are limited to August.

What kind of weather should we expect in August? Is it similar to Costa Rica's? Does the weather vary much depending on location in the country? Are there any specific places you would recommend we visit? So far, based on my preliminary research, the places that interest me the most would be San Blas Islands, the Highlands and the islands on the Pacific side of Panama. Any specific hotels you would recommend? We like upscale butique places, not large resorts.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Hi Iza!

Panama is a great choice if you're looking for an alternative to Costa Rica. The country has a lot of what Costa Rica has to offer plus more...Indigenous cultures, islands, and a modern capital city!

Weather, as far as rain, is going to be very similar to Costa Rica. However it's much hotter in Panama. There is a lot of variation though...in the Chiriqui highlands, you'll find a cool, refreshing climate. A nice change!

For hotels in the highlands, Los Establos is probably the nicest, but doesn't allow children. Another great option is Panamonte...a very laid back bed and breakfast.

In the Pearl Islands, no doubt, Hacienda del Mar! It's a luxury boutique hotel, and the only one on the Isla San Jose.

In the San Blas Islands, the Dolphin Lodge is probably the nicest, but don't expect luxury. Accommodations are basic...two double beds, private bath, ceiling fan.

You may also want to spend two nights in Panama City. It's worth taking a tour of the city.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Rominacr, you have killed two birds with one stone!! We are planning the same type of thing ourselves this coming Feb. We are mainly interested in birding, if you have any suggestions on that. We will actually be starting in CR and heading down from there and ending up at our favorite place on the Osa Peninsula so will be traveling up to CR around Golfito possibly. Thinking about starting from the Caribbean side, possibly Bocas del Toro.
Any suggestions for this?

A tico friend of ours is going to arrange for a non rental car (or use his) as we understand you can't take a rental car across the country lines.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Thanks rominacr. Hacienda del Mar has been one of the places I liked the most when looking at the various websites. In San Blas islands, I have seen that you could charter a crewed sailboat for a few days to sail from one island to another - what are your thoughts on that? One company that looked really great was San Blas Sailing (www.sanblassailing.com).
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:11 AM

Iza,
I agree with rominacr, Hacienda del Mar is the place in the Pearl Islands, and San Blas Sailing are superb, I know the owners reasonably well and they really do look after you and give you your money's worth. I will be very jealous if you go as I've been wanting to do that for years but when you live here it's one of those "luxuries" you keep putting off.
This August we had some great weather and some big thunderstorms too, but most days only showers in the afternoon or at night.
Las Olas Resort is another option on a beach near the Chiriqui highlands - small and well run.
Las Huacas is a nice boutique hotel (now a Best Western for some reason) in Panama City or the DeVille or Bristol - both up-market boutiques...

Jessie:
As we like to say in Panama - Costa Rica has 20 tourists looking at one bird, we have 20 birds waiting for one tourist to come look at them...
Great birding in Panama - Pipeline Road is the site of world record counts by the Audubon Society - if you are serious then you need to stay at the Canopy Tower - and old radar station in the forest - not cheap but the best birding station in the region.
Achiote on the Caribbean side is good, even Metropolitan park in the city if you get there very early - as the sun comes up.
From Bocas you can cross to Costa Rica at Sixoala and then up to Limon and then across. Or boat across to Almirante and bus to the border and cross at Paso Canoa which is much closer to Osa and Golfito.
Nature Air is trying to get the licence for flights from Bocas to San Jose but I don't think it's been approved yet.
Hope this helps,
Andrew
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM

Great information AndrewGW! Nature Air still hasn't scheduled the San Jose-Bocas flight. They were talking about this high season, but I don't see it happening.

Iza and Jessie: Another option if you're looking for luxury is the Islas Secas Resort. It's in the province of Chiriqui. It doesn't open until December 22nd, so there's no opinions out there, but it looks really nice! Here's the link:
http://www.islassecas.com

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am very excited to start planning this trip for next year!

I am thinking of maybe starting in Panama City for a couple of days and taking a tour of the canal, then spending 4 days in San Blas (either a local lodge or sailing), then a couple of days in the Highlands and end the trip with 4 days in the Pearl Islands. Does that sound like a good itinerary for 2 weeks? What order of destinations would you suggest?

What is the best way of travelling within Panama? Should we fly, arrange for private transfers or rent a car? We have tried all of these options in Costa Rica and found that a combination of all 3 was best if we wanted to cover a lot of territory. Is that also true in Panama?
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:09 PM

Thank you so much. Like Iza we are beginning to find CR a little crowded. Sounds like lots of great birding options for hubby and wonderful beach options for mwa. Thanks for the info. Had looked at the tower. Would love to be there for the hawk migration. Saw one ornate eagle this year in CR. Hoping for the big one in Panama.

Will pull these places up and get them bookmarked for reference.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:49 PM

Iza...sounds like you've got a pretty good itinerary. I'd say nore more than 3 nights in San Blas, or you might get bored.

As far as what order to do them in...start in Panama City. Next San Blas. Chiriqui will be a nice change to the heat after that. Then I'd end it in the Pearl Islands relaxing beachside.

I think the only place you may want a car is in the highlands to drive around and explore. The drive from Panama City is long...over 6 hours. It's a great way to see the country, but if you're not up to being in the car that long, you should consider flying into David, and then picking up a car there. Other than that, flights are the way to go to get to the Pearl Islands and San Blas.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM

We're making our first trip to Panama in January, starting with two nights in San Blas, then a couple days in Panama City, my husband really wants to do a full transit of the canal, and the dates worked out. Then five or six days in Bocas del Toro, ending up with a couple days at Canopy Tower. We had hoped to end in Bocas, but the dates didn't work with Canopy Tower.

It sounds like it should be a great trip. We can hardly wait.

jean
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Iza
Original Poster

JeanH, please do post a trip report when you are back! Where are you planning to stay at San Blas?

Rominacr, thanks for your additional feedback. I am thinking about flying to David and renting a car there - a 6 hour drive from Panama City seems like a bit too much. By the way, I really loved the looks of Los Establos so I contacted them about the no children policy. The responded very nicely and they are willing to accommodate us with our daughter who will be 11 next year. I believe their normal policy is no children under 14.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Iza,
I agree with Rominacr - most folks only do 2 nights in San Blas unless they are on the sailboat - there really isn't a lot to do there once you walked around the little island 10 times, visited the Kuna village a couple of times, turned like a prune snorkling...
I would spend an extra day exploring the highlands or around Panama City - there are super day trips that you can do from the city - suggestion - Visit the Emberas in their villages up the Chagras river - they live just like their ancestors did over 500 years ago - their choice - moved back to the jungle - now rely on tourism as their land was made a National Park so they can't farm/hunt like they used to. Very natural not a tourist put on if you go to the last village up the river the Embera Drua.
Rominacr's comments on flying and driving are spot on.
You might also look at the Panamonte in Boquete, run by the Collins family for I think 3 generations now, renovated and very quaint. Good restaurant.

Jessie:
You might be lucky to see quetzals or even a harpy eagle... Never heard of a disappointed birder leaving Panama....
If you head up to the Chiriqui highlands go the the Volcan side to a place called Los Quetzales - great birding there.

JeanH:
Sounds like a great trip - the full transit is a long day but definitely one to remember - if you are into birding then Bocas will not have much for you - nice place but very small and after a few days - not a lot of choice as to activities (I find 3 days there enough) - you may want to look at getting a boat over to Almirante, Changuinola or to Chiriqui Grande then transport (private or public bus) to the Chiriqui highlands - nice spring like climate with tons of stuff to do - see above re Los Quetzales or in the Boquete side, coffee plantations, flower gardens, etc etc...
You can then bus to David and fly back to Panama - the airlines will open jaw your flights no problem.

Glad to see so much interest in Panama...

If you have anymore questions, ask away.
Cheers,
Andrew

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Iza, We're staying at Dolphin Lodge on San Blas. We don't usually do package tours, but the San Blas portion of this trip is one. Figuring out how to book it ourselves seemed sort of daunting.

Andrew, we aren't really serious birders at all. Canopy Tower just looks interesting, and we do love to hike in the jungle.

As for Bocas, I don't think we'll be bored. Just returned last night from a week in San Pedro, Belize, where we did nothing but a bit of snorkeling, eating drinking and reading. It was wonderful.
We're hoping for a similar 'vibe' in Bocas.

We're traveling in January and looking for HOT weather. That's the reason to avoid the higher elevations on this trip. We do hate midwestern winters.

Jean
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 02:46 PM

JeanH,
The Canopy tour is a great place, really keyed up for birders though and it's very remote from everything else unless you have your own transport. A few minutes (15) down the road is the Gamboa Rainforest Resort with some interesting exhibits and an aerial tram. The closest place to Canopy Tower for other things to do or place to eat.

I agree it's actually easier to get a local tour operator to book you for San Blas - not a packaged tour per se, just combines your local airline ticket with reserations on the island. Doesn't cost any more than doing it yourself just a lot easier.

Bocas does have a laid back attitude, very Caribbean style which is very different to the rest of Panama. If you haven't booked anything in Bocas then I could suggest Cocomo-on-the-Sea is a little B&B with 4 rooms, ask for one at the front so you have the deck that is on stilts over the water, a little bit out of the town (10 min walk) but a very nice comfortable place to stay...
You will certainly get hot in both the city and out on the islands, bring lots of sunscreen!!!
Cheers,
Andrew
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Andrew, You are a wealth of information. Actually, we are staying at Cocomo by the Sea. I will be sure and e-mail them and request a room at the front. Thanks so much for that piece of information.

I think we'll enjoy Canopy Tower. Lots of walks/hikes as part of the 'package' when you book there.

Thanks again for the great info.

Jean
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Hopefully, I will be able to supply even more reliable info on the region over the next few months - I am launching a marketing company for small hotels in the region in November so I will be travelling throughout the region extensively and visiting every tourist destination in depth...
If you need anything else, don't hesistate to ask.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Jean,
I agree with Andrew regarding Cocomo by the Sea. We stayed there last August and loved it. The men that own this hotel were incredibly friendly and helpful. Great breakfast, not too far from town, and you have to love a hotel that is walking distance to the airport! Have a great time!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM

Boquete sounds great for birding. We have made reservations at a small place called the Coffee Estate Inn. Will definitely check out some of the other suggestions. Panomonte sounds like a good place if we decide we want more time in that area. Thanks for the recommendation. We will have 8 days in Panama between the Coffee Estate Inn and our reservations at Bosque del Cabo in CR. Also thinking about the Canopy Tower although may wait until closer to the hawk migration for that. Sounds awesome.

You guys have all been such a great help. Thank you. I have been looking up all the places you recommended and sending them to my husband. He is already pouring through the bird books and getting excited.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM

I see Andrew is doing a great job on my favorite country. Panama is beautiful. I grew up there and still have many friends there. On my last trip I stayed at the Panamonte and loved it. However, friends in Panama City have reported a new place which they say is really excellent. check out their website http://www.coffeeestateinn.com/

I hope you love Panama as I do. It is a beautiful country with amazing people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -