Search

Panama - Colon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama - Colon

DH and I are going to Panama in May and are staying at the Melia Panama Canal Resort - does anyone have any input on this resort and the surrounding area (Colon)? Any suggestions for day trips from Colon? I have heard that Colon itself isn't very safe - is this the case? Times change so I'm looking for recent experiences. Also, what is the best method of transportation to/from airport and for day trips? Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:38 AM
tot

my wife and i were in panama march 8-23 and spent 2 nights at melia panama canal resort ,it was wonderful, service was great ,kayaking and a beautiful pool,we were on a birding trip and went out as a group during the evening no problems we had a guide who knew the area,have fun!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Melia is the best hotel in Colon (my opinion) and is close distance from The Canal: Gatun locks, some recommendation for day tour are:

Fishing bass in Gatun lake
visit the Embera indian village
Visit Portobelo and Isla grande
Visit isla Galeta -STRI marine laboratory
Visit San Lorenzo fort
Visit the El achiote community to see wild monkeys
take the ocean to ocean train, this and trip cost USD125 for cruise passengers
buy a lot of perfurms in free zone.

be happy!

Transfer from the PTY airport to Melia cost between $50 to $90 but worth it comparison to drive ahead to Colon during the evening after a long flight.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tot and Wapanda10!

Wapanda10 - when you say "transfer" from PTY to airport, are you referring to what the Melia can arrange or some other transport service? If so, which one?

Anyone - suggestions on restaurants in the Colon area?

Since we're spending 5 nights in Colon would we be better off spending our last two nights at Gamboa or downtown Panama?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM

Hi Stachi, when I said transfer I referring to hire a taxi from the airport, also, I can recommend you Mario Wong he is a good guide with a SUV, he can do the transfer for USD70 one way.

Regarding restaurants, for formal or business dinner every body go to the restaurant of the Melia hotel because Colon downtown has not good restaurants (Colon weakness). If you looking for Caribbean flavour on the way to Portobelo you can find the major of them (small restaurant like: Los Cañones, Grupo Marin, Coco plum, more)

Excellent idea spend your last 2 nights in downtown Panama, (Gamboa is not a good option because the environments is similar to the Melia)
I recommend you take the train to go to Panama city instead of hire a taxi. price going around of $25 p/p and the trip is very scenic.
also, Panama city has a lot of good restaurants like El Bodegon, Martin Fierro, Siete Mares, Las Tinajas, more

good lucks,