Reload this Page >

PALACE Resorts/"Run of the House"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:34 PM
Kimi

Considering either Sun or Cancun Palace in June, 2001. Read many horror stories about overbooking & guests being shipped to lesser Palace resorts & not enjoying their vacation. <BR> <BR>I was wondering if anyone can define the term "Run of the House" which is described in my Liberty Travel guide book. My understanding is that "Run of the House" means the resort can send you wherever they please, regardless of where you make your reservation. Is this is true, or have some paid more $$$ to stay in a superior room & were still "bumped". Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated & thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:06 PM
LIZ

Hi Kimi... <BR> <BR>'Run of the House' means the hotel's standard rooms...Those are usually rooms with no ocean view or special amenities....IE: The Allegro Playacar has only ROH rooms....They're all the same except for location....The beachfront rooms are timeshares and they have no suites....ROH does not mean they can send you to any hotel...However, a lot of these hotels are overbooking and you generally have no choice...But, if they don't send you to an upper rated resort, you should insist on some compensation.... <BR> <BR>LIZ

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:42 PM
Kimi

Hi Liz! Thanks for your input, however, we're going through Liberty Travel -- isn't it harder to get new accomodations via a travel agency while still on vacation?

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Linda

Oh boy, you've hit on a subject that really gets me going. <BR> <BR>Not only do hotels overbook (and I'm seeing increasing numbers of posts where this has happened), but the tour/package providers contribute very heavily to the problem. <BR> <BR>Last year we booked (and paid for) out trip to Barbados over three months before our planned departure date, assuming that early booking (and payment) would ensure getting the accomodation that we wanted (silly, silly me). I sat in my TA's office and listened while he "booked" our trip with the vacation tour rep. <BR> <BR>Two weeks before departure, I E-mailed the resort directly to confirm that all was as planned. I was horrified to learn that the resort had never even heard of us (they finally got our booking 2 days later). I learned that this is quite common procedure. The vacation providers take your info (and your money) and then generally book in large blocks a week or so before departure dates. So, in spite of doing all you can to guarantee that your trip is what you planned and paid for, you may not be any better off that someone purchasing a 'last-minute deal' at half the price. <BR> <BR>As well, some resorts reserve their premium location rooms for visitors not booking through package deals, while the blocks of rooms overlooking the all-night disco/the dumpster/whatever go to the package people. After all, they already have your money, while the other guests probably won't be paying the bill in full till they check-out, putting them in a better bargaining position. <BR> <BR>This sucks. <BR> <BR>Tour/package providers should have to book with the resort as soon as they get your money. Why don't they? <BR> <BR>What other industry exists where you have to pay in full for goods and services well before they are provided, with no guarantee that you will get what you have paid for? (And having to forfeit your money if you don't like it?)Imagine ordering a custom-made suit and paying for it, only to be told on delivery day that they took too many orders and you'll just have to make do with an off the rack number that's the wrong colour and too small and, by the way we're going to keep all your money for the custom job anyhow. <BR> <BR>I read a posting in the Sympatico travel forums from a lady that had her wedding absolutely ruined in this way, which prompted me to post an open letter to travel agents and package providers on the subject - so far no responses. <BR> <BR>Sorry for venting, but for many people, travel is not a once a year thing, but a once-in-a-lifetime occurence for which many sacrifices have been made and it's heartbreaking to think that all their efforts have about as much importance as the ordering of a cheese sandwich. <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 09:55 PM
LIZ

Hi Kimi... <BR>We have been using Liberty Travel for years and have never been bumped from any hotel....Last year several people who came in at the same time as us got bumped from the Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica....They did however, get bumped up to one of the Lido's better properties...It turned out to be a good deal for them.... <BR> <BR>Why didn't we get bumped?...My travel agent said that a lot of hotels don't like to antagonize major travel agencies like Liberty....Getting on the wrong side of such a large organization could mean loss of revenue for the hotel!...I don't know if this is true, but, as I said, we've never been bumped... <BR> <BR>Just remember, if you do get bumped, INSIST on adequate compensation!!! <BR> <BR>I don't know if contacting your travel agent would do any good at that time....BUT, I always make sure I have their 800 number, just in case.... <BR> <BR>Thinking too hard about all this can make you crazy...Just go and have a good time...Make the most of whatever happens.... <BR> <BR>LIZ