Osa Peninsula Camping

Aug 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Osa Peninsula Camping

Does anyone have experience camping around the osa peninsula? We are not avid campers, but definately would enjoy a night or two in the rainforest or wherever someone can recommend. Planning to spend 3-4 nights somewhere nice (i.e. expensive) like bosque or lapa rios, then would like to camp for a night. thanks.
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM

While I've not camped in the area, I did see some campers in Cabo Matapalo on the beach just down from Lapa Rios. Are you planning on bringing a bunch of camping gear with you???
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply.

well, not a bunch of camping gear, but i would take a pack and a sleeping bag if there were some neat places to camp.
Aug 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM
mabel

I would suggest camping in Corcovado National Park. I wish I had done that while I was there instead of just taking short day hikes. It gets more and more beautiful the farther in you hike. The monkeys were amazing. You have to make reservations at least a month in advance to stay in the park. They have some bunks available at the ranger stations, so you don't have to pitch a tent. But you can if you prefer. I'd recommend spending a night at the Corcovado Tent Camp after roughing it in the park if you can't get to Lapa Rios right away. It's close to the La Leona entrance to the park and it's in a beautiful location, right on the ocean. It's cheap, too, so you can save your $$ for Lapa Rios---which is an excellent choice, too.

Aug 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Right at the end of the road to Carate and the La Leona entrance to Corcovado is a little pulpuria. For a very small fee you can use their bathrooms, etc. while camping on the beach. You can buy food at the pulpuria or even purchase a meal or two at Corcovado tent camp. You could even check with Terry at LookOut Inn which is right there also, practically right next to the pulpurial, to see if you could purchase a meal there.
Should you decide to go into the park I would hire a guide. You can do that through Costa Rica Expeditions. They own the tent camp there. It is a very comfortable tent camp and the food is great at all the CRE places.
There is a place near La Paloma in Drake Bay where you can camp also. It is not within a comfortable walking distance to the Corcovado but I believe they will even rent you a tent. Forget the name of it off hand but I could find out if you were interested or maybe someone else knows of it.
Luna Lodge is set back from the beach along the Carate river and she has tents already set up that you can stay in also. There are a couple of pretty waterfalls on the property and it backs up to Corcovado nat'l park.