Search

Osa in November?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa in November?

We are headed to CR end of November/early December. Will the Osa be extremely hot, humid and rainy during this time? I originally wanted to go, but the husband already wasn't too keen on a total jungle experience. I could probably talk him into it, but I'm not sure its worth it if weather is going to be a really aggravating factor. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM

That's the very end of the rainy green season. I'd expect you to get some rain but not have a total rainout. We went in July which is also rainy season and didn't get a drop, so it's not always predictable. Temps would probably be in the 80s. The Osa is amazing. Maybe you could combine it with another area like Arenal.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Yes, it will be very hot and humid, and it will probably still be a bit rainy at night. That was my experience the first week of December this past year. The days will probably be pretty rain free. The heat and humidity are totally worth it for the amazing ecosystem that that creates and all of the unique flora and fauna that goes with it.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we would actually combine it with Arenal, as you suggest VolcanoGirl. People always say heat and humidity is bad, but what does this mean exactly? I really only have a hard time with it at night...I wake up sweating if its over 70 degrees...I suppose it would be warmer than this at night?
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM

It's going to be warmer at night than 70, yes. I have a reading on my travel clock and most nights, whether May or July or Nov, it was usually 74 or 75 by the time I hit the bed. I've never been hot at night personally. There is a small fan by the bed and at night usually a good breeze.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:04 AM

I find that hiking through the forests, it's shaded and not unbearably hot.Plus, as others suggest, you're so engaged with your surroundings, you don't much notice the heat. The beach is another story, if you're planning on hiking it. Bring plenty of sunscreen and water!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Yes, hot and humid. To give you an idea, I have long, thick hair, and I don't think it really ever got dry the entire time I was there since you can't use a blow dryer. I would get up and wash it, and then it would just be sort of damp and never fully dry out. I was glad we got a cabin with an ocean view because those get a breeze off the water, and like Tully said, there's a small fan in the cabins. Our cabin was in the low 80s at night. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. The wildlife there is amazing.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM
RAC

It probably depends on where you're staying. If it's a nice ecolodge on an ocean bluff with breezes and shelter, no problemo.

I wouldn't try hiking inside Corcovado at that time, though.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Depending on where you end up staying, as others have said, you'll probably have some kind of fan to use at night. It really does make a difference.

Also, as tully has suggested in the past, it never hurts to have a little sleeping medication or antihistamine pill on hand (mixed with a beer or two) to help you fall asleep more comfortably ;-) What heat?!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Haha great thanks everyone. I am considering staying at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort, and they now have some units with air conditioning. I read a review that said the air conditioning was "barely adequate", but I suppose that with some beers would be fine. I am so torn! I need to book hotels and I cannot make a decision for the life of me. It's either going to be 3 nights Drake Bay, 2 or 3 nights MA, and 2 or 3 nights Arenal OR skip the southern coast altogether, and do 3 nights Arenal and 5 nights at Ylang Ylang in Montezuma. As you can see TOTALLY different itineraries! I am trying to compromise with my husband because its technically our honeymoon and he would probably enjoy the beach more. What to do!? Which would you choose?
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Ngolden1 -- We stayed at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort earlier this year and the A/C in our room was more than adequate. It's a good location - loved it. Not really a beach destination though. Ylang Ylang is very nice too, especially for honeymoon as it's fairly intimate and will give you a more honeymooney feel. If you really want to visit Osa to experience the wildlife and nature my suggestion is to check out Bosque del Cabo instead of lodges in Drake Bay. Although the main appeal there is all the wonderful trails you can hike and the amazing wildlife - so if your hubby isn't into that... For me one of the main appeals of DB was Cano Island (disappointing when I was there) and Corcovado (fantastic but if you're not going to hike it why go all the way to Drake)?

Sounds like your hubby might like the Arenal/MA or Arenal/Montezuma option. I wouldn't go all the way to Drake Bay for just 2 nights.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes I definitely want to hike in Corcovado, which I understand is a little bit of a trek from Drake Bay, but doable. We would be there for three nights. I liked Bosque Del Cabo was was considered about lack of AC (I know, big issue for me) and it was about twice the price of Drake Bay. I also love that Drake Bay is right on the water and not closed into the forest. Do you think 5 nights at Ylang Ylang would be too much? It seems like there are wildlife things we could go see in the area, and other activities, but I don't know whether there is enough to keep us occupied for 5 nights.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Drake Bay being on the water is good and bad. It's beautiful, nice and scenic, but maybe more wildlife back in the jungle. Definitely do the longer trek to Sirena though, not San Pedrillo. It's a long boat ride but good chance of seeing a Tapir. At BDC you are surrounded by wildlife every day just on the main grounds plus the food, bar, staff, tours and everything are much better. I've never had issues not having A/C there and have stayed 3 weeks over different trips so far. The cost is worth it even if only once in your life.

5 nights at YY would be too much for me, unless you do take advantage of venturing out for day trips, but there are people here who feel differently. It leans towards the romantic or intimate side, not as great for me and my young daughter (who like to socialize more) but the pool is wonderful and grounds are beautiful. I think we would have had more fun spending some nights in town.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
RAC

For me, five months at YY wouldn't be too long. Plenty of day trips (Curu, Tortuga Island, Cabo Blanco, beach hikes) and local attractions (zipline, waterfall) to keep you busy.

Or you can just relax on the beach, at the spa, in the pool .. .
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I've always liked Casa Corcovado which is on the northern boundary of the park, a short hike to the San Pedrillo ranger station. Although the property is on the ocean, and they have their own beach, the cabinas are up on a hill, about a 15-20 minute walk. The last time I was there I was able to arrange a trip to Sirena. I asked about it when reserving and they added it to my package. Their packages include guided hikes around San Pedrillo and snorkeling at Cano island, plus others depending on how long you stay.