Osa activities from BdC and P. Jimenez

Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa activities from BdC and P. Jimenez

Have 3 nights @ Cabinas Jiminez and 2 @ BdC
Trying to plan what activities to book from where & with whom.
Want as much time as possible just to hike trails & beach @ BdC.
Would appreciate any help about following tours:

Where is the waterfall rappelling located for the 3 tour companies in this region?:
Everyday Adventures
El Remanso (on their property next to BdC?)
Escondido Trex

The last one (ET) is $190!
El Remanso is only $75 for 3.5-4.5hrs
Everyday Adventures is $85 but offers a combo w/ tree climbing for $120
Can anyone comment on the quality vs cost with any of these outfitters?

Would like to visit the Animal Sanctuary.
I don't want boat tour with dolphin/sunset but seeing some of Golfo Dulce coast with option of snorkeling sounds worthwhile.
Anyone have boat recommendations? Is there chance of seeing whales or whale sharks mid December?

And last but not least, I hope to kayak while in PJ.
If arriving on the 3:15 from San Jose will I have time to make an evening tour? Maybe Bio Luminesence or dolphin sunset? (I think plane lands at 4 and I would want to quickly check into Cabinas).

Mangrove tour seems a bit short & tame.
Has anyone done a kayak w/ snorkel and/or longer trip around Golfo Dulce?

So those are my priorities ~ hiking @ BdC (& waterfall rappelling if near there), animal sanctuary and kayaking near P.Jimenez.
Open to ideas for this or other suggestions with 5 nights time.

thanks! Tina
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I think Cabinas Jimenez has their own boat and can set up the refuge tour for you, I'd definitely do it from there rather than BdC as it will be cheaper. I'm sure if you ask they can tack on a little extra to go snorkeling. You do get a nice ride over to the Refuge and back though and they'll slow down if they see dolphins.

I've heard the El Remanso tour is excellent and it does have the bonus of being right next door, relatively speaking.

Haven't done the kayaking but I believe it leaves late afternoon, not sure if you will make it in time or not. But I would definitely try to get all your activities out of the way while in PJ so you can hike the trails while at BdC.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks Tully
Was just reading the BdC trail descriptions and "King Louie" waterfall is near the white gate on Golfo Dulce trail? Everyday Adventures uses this for their rappell and there is an additional taxi charge for their tour?

All seems so expensive for something so close! I emailed BdC hoping they could lend some perspective.
Am trying to add a night @ BdC if I will need additional half a day for an excursion.

I will also email Cabinas Jimenez about their boat.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Well I guess you could walk to & from King Louie but I personally wouldn't and the ride charge isn't too bad, $5, maybe $10, round trip. It wouldn't be so bad walking there, maybe an 1.5 hours but coming back you'd be all wet and maybe tired and your options would be walking up the GD trail (and it's all up, though not steep) or walking the beach access road (about 45 minutes) then the Carate road back to BdC (I'd say a good 45 min - hour). When you get there you'll see what I mean by "next door, relatively speaking". Another note - the white gate (at the start/end of the beach access road to the bottom of the GD trail is a good 45 minute walk, maybe a little less if you don't stop at any of the 3 beaches). To try & maximize your time, you could ask for a delayed pick-up after the rappel, so you can walk to Pan Dulce, closest to the white gate and the nicest beach, and swim there for a while before they pick you up. Trust me when you see the road from PJ out to the Matapalo area it will add perspective!

Yes check with Cabinas Jimenez about their boat. I know I was looking at staying there a couple trips ago and noticed their boat. Even if you don't use them you're not far from the dock at all and can wander down there and maybe tag along with a group. The Reguge starts tours at a spefic time, can't recall exactly but think it's 930, so all tours would be leaving from there about the same time.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM

I have done the mangrove kayaking and enjoyed it. However, there wasn't a lot of wildlife to be seen it was just a nice time and pretty out. I think we're shooting for the sunset trip this time around if it works out. We also did the dolphin watch/snorkeling one year. This was when they drug you behind the boat on a boogie board and rope and the dolphins swam around you, but this isn't allowed anymore. The snorkeling was nothing to write home about. Lots of fish, but not super colorful ones and the water was a little cloudy, still a fun day though.

I would recommend the refuge and kayaking (and the waterfall rappel if you want something adrenaline).
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

That is a good suggestion tully, walking to Pan Dulce and pick up later if I rappell near there earlier.
I tend to walk when driving is short in everyday situations but uphill in intense humidity is just no fun.

I'm sure I can't even imagine the remoteness and expanse of the area ~ part of the appeal of the journey eh!?

hip ~ look forward to your input should you do the sunset kayak. I know CR isn't exactly a snorkeling destination but can't resist jumping in the water with the marine life to check things out below surface.

I didn't realize the waterboarding dolphin thing was no longer permitted so thanks for that info.
I'm a bit hyper ~ it all sounds good to me! LOL

all the input was much appreciated ~ Tina
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Cabinas Jimenez has free kayaks. I will be there in a few weeks and report back how many there are.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM

I believe there's decent snorkeling around there too, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like it's in my notes somewhere...
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

woohoo!
Did not know about the free kayaks and heard about the pool after my booking as well.
Was already happy for my reservation but Cabinas Jimenez is just looking sweeter every day!

Thanks rivet ~ will look for your report in the future.
BTW ~ has anyone every walked there from the airport?
I am considering walking thru town before dark, maybe quick stop at liqour store, and internet cafe to let family know I arrived.

It's only like half mile total right?
Tina