Search

Omni Cancun or Moon Palace

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Latoya

Omni Cancun or Moon Palace

My fiancee' and I are planning our honeymoon in late April and I am deciding between these two hotels. Which is the overrall better resort as far as the all inclusive package. How bad is the beach at Moon Palace and is it difficult to get to the hotel zone? Also, how is the food and drinks at each? What resort is better for a mid twenties couple? Thanks for any help.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Kelly

Latoya - <BR> <BR>You and I are in the same delima. My husband and I made our Cancun reservations (Air/Hotel) through Expedia.com. We originally booked at the Moon Palace because of the pictures we saw and the fact that the rooms had the jacuzzi tub for two. My husband and I are not party goers and are not into the night club scene, which is another reason why we chose the Moon Palace - it being secluded and romantic. But then I started doing research after I booked and found websites that had people commenting how the Moon Palace ruined their honeymoon, vacation, life!!!! I got a little scared and ended up switching to the Omni. It seems that every website that had opinions of the Moon Palace had either said that they loved it and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else, or that they hated it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone - no middle ground. My husband and I love to walk the beach, and when we found that the beach is full of sea grass, and they have to run tractors on it 3 times a day to scoop all of it up, that was the deciding factor that made us switch. In my opintion, the whole reason for going to a beach resort area is for the beach, not to hang around a pool all day. If you are still considering the Moon Palace here is a website that has some good pictures of the property www.moon-palace.com/fac/index.html. As far as my findings/opinions of the Omni Cancun, I have only found 2 bad reviews out of about 50, which I sadly could not report for the Moon Palace. The only down side to the Omni is that they don't offer the two free tours with your stay like the Moon Place does, and by switching to the Omni,we only saved $5.00 on the all-inclusive package. <BR> <BR>I recommend taking the virtual tour found on Omni's website at www.omnihotels.com <BR> <BR>I hope this helps....Let me know where you decided to stay at.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 08:35 AM
janice

We stayed at the Omni in March 2000 but not as all inclusive. Very nice, bus stops right out front. Beach is great, pools excellent and the jacuzzi bar on the beach was great!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
betsy

Have you considered the Sun Palace? It is a very nice resort, great beach, you get the free tours and exchange priveleges with the other 3 Palace resorts. <BR>I stayed at the Moon Palace,it is an amazing resort, but the beach is pretty bad. I would recommend the Sun Palace.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:13 AM
Marletta

I'm kinda in the same position you are [but not getting married boo hoo :0)] Read good/bad reports on Moon Palace, but if you do research & you know what to expect/not expect then you should be fine. I was considering switching to Omni or Royal Solaris, but changed my mind & stuck w/Moon - aside from beach complaints, some people just sounded frivilous & like spoiled americans, imho. I mean come on, there are 10 restaurants on the property & a person can't find SOMETHING good to eat SOMEWHERE? Personally, I like to see both negative/positive reports on any resort cause no place is all good - I'd rather know what's not good before I get there than find out later or go expecting perfection & get disappointed. But guess it really comes down to what you are looking for in a vacation. My b.f. & I already have a natural tan, so we don't necessarily care about the beach. <BR> <BR>Its really so hard to go by ANYTHING we read on these boards even tho all info is helpful - what 1 person can tolerate may ruin another person's vacation, ya know? <BR> <BR>Congratulations on your marriage & good luck whereever you decide to go!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Denise

Latoya, I recommend the Omni Cancun. It's really nice! You can go AI on days you're going to be at the resort and EP when you're not. Everything is wonderful here. We didn't like the Moon or any of the Palace resorts. It was more like staying at the Holiday Inn. The food was terrible, pools like ice skating rinks, drinks were so/so, beds hard, and the pool from the jacuzzi was coming out green. Everything is so far away there too. It takes forever to walk from your room to the pool/dining rooms/etc. We thought they were understaffed in the dining areas too. Their beach was not occupied by too many people. Very green water. It was such a hassle too, to get a room w/ a king size bed. We were there on our anniversary, and it was awful trying to get a good room. We finally did, but the first 3 were w/ twin beds. On our next trip, we're going back to the Omni or Royal Solaris.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:41 AM
NCDeb

Hi, I've been reading the postings, and I know exactly what most of you are going through. My husband and I went to Cancun on our honeymoon, and made reservations at the Moon Palace. Somewhere on this post is my review, but I'll go through it again. <BR>First thing...if you've never been to Cancun, be prepared when you get off the plane. The airport is extremely crowded, and hectic. There are people in every direction trying to get you to sign up for things. Just keep walking, and find your reserved transportation. The Moon Palace is secluded...there is the Moon Palace, and Moon Palace Sunrise next to each other, and that is it. We enjoyed the solidarity (?) of the place...knowing that the only people who are there are going to be other guests of the hotel. Unfortunately, all of the postings about the beach are true...there is lots of seaweed. To be honest, we had such a great time hanging out at the pool, that it didn't bother us! The pools at both of the hotels are great, and I know that sounds strange to prefer the pool rather than the beach. It was a surprise for me! Your lounge chairs sit in the pool, and there are swim up bars. The food is ok...not great, not horrible. The place has food at all times of the day, so what can you expect? I can tell you that we never went hungry. I always found something to eat. In the mornings, there are made to order omelettes and smoothies...for lunch they have made to order stir fry. For dinner, there are restaurants that are not buffet, that you sit down and order like any other restaurant. Granted, most of the food was not authentic Mexican, I still enjoyed it. We enjoyed the freedom of trying something, and if you didn't like it, just got something else. There is plenty to do at the hotel...they have shows (cheezy, yes), non motorized sports, mini golf, pool tables, basketball courts, a gym, and a day spa. We went into Cancun for one day...you just have to make sure you reserve a spot on the bus a day early. The bus runs at different times per day, and we had no problem once we made the reservation. We went to one of the other Palace resorts, and enjoyed the beach there-which by the way, was A LOT nicer...the beach that is, not the hotel. We walked around downtowon, and we were so tired and hot, decided to take a taxi back instead of wait for the bus. We were not really impressed with downtown Cancun...it was just like being in any touristy city. Another day we did a snorkeling trip to Cozumel...that cost a bit of money, but we had a good time. I hope this helps...if you need any more answers or help...just write back on this post, and I will give my email. I don't know anything about the Omni at all, so I can't give any advice on that one. If you want to be around more hotels, and stores, then do not stay at the Moon Palace. If you just want to relax and not worry about going anywhere, this might be a good place to stay. <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Chad

I have never been to the Moon Palace but I have been to the Omni three times! I absolutely love it! The staff is so friendly, they remember my family each time we go back. The food is great and the beach is fabulous, although sometimes hard to find a chair. There is a great beach side restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Feel free to wear your bathing suit while you eat!You will definately get your money's worth at the Italien restaurant Da Vinci. It is very tasty but also expensive. You must try thedesserts---they are amazing!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Donna

I am going to the Moon Palace,next year any more. info would be appreciated.<BR>NCDEB please e-mail.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Ally

I did not care for Moon Palace at all. Would never go back. It's isolated from town...food was VERY bland, the grounds stunk of sewer and the water that came out of our jacuzzi was brown. Gross.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Joey

I can't beleive that anyone WOULD NOT like the Moon Palace, they must have been in the dark when making reservation because anyone who books there KNOWS it is 20 minutes from the hotel zone, that is the best part about this resort! It is so grand, and the food is excellent, the staff was so friendly, and there was no sewer smell, we have been 4 times and not once did I smell sewer, it must have been the last posters breath blowing back in her face. Don't listen to the negative posts this place was great. The only down side is the seaweed in the water, but the resort and the pool totally make up for it.<BR>You will not regret your choice.<BR>Plus you get to enjoy 7 resorts for the price of one, don't think you can do that at the OMNI!<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Ally

Joey,<BR>How rude. The sewer smell was NOT my breath blowing back in my face. It was a SEWER PROBLEM. Too many people, to small of a sewer system. The staff admitted they were having a problem and we're 'working on it'. Granted, it was almost two years ago, so it may be fixed now, but it was certainly a problem. So was the brown water coming out of the jacuzzi. And the food was very, very bland. It was difficult to get any kind of spice to add flavor. You're right about a couple things... No, I did not do alot of research as the trip was free for my husband and I. (A work convention). We did not make the reservations. The company paid for everything. All we had to do was show up. And, you are right about the pool. It was fantastic.