Old guys kick some butt in San Jose!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of Seniors on a cruise trip were mugged while on a tour bus. One of robbers was killed. Breaks my heart. Found it on AOL news.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM

Never underestimate we 60 something former USN Seal officers, lol.
M
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM

it was in Limon, they were there for a day to buy souvenirs when they were held up:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

Dont mess with grandad!

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

AND........the police didnt press charges so he "left that night on the cruise ship" according to press reports.

imagine when he gets home

"so, what did you do on your holiday grandad"

"well billy, i killed a man in Costa Rica"

hahahahaha........its not REALLY funny, BUT it is!!!

and makes the rest of you thrillseekers look like big girls blouses with your zip line 'thrill seeking'

from now on you aint seen costa rica til youve killed a local!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:38 AM

Viva Viejos!!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM

Don't mess with the old folks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

As a "q-tip".. I read the same exact article in todays paper... they were about to be mugged... BTW what happened to the driver/guide? I thnk Parrot Pop would have had to use his cane to trip the mugger...and I think Carnival...willhave to send along armed guards...too bad...Costa Rica is a great country
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I don't think this is funny either -- it's quite disturbing and I hope the old guy didn't kill him purposefully.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM

perhaps if you READ the story you would see that he and his companions were held up at gunpoint.

would you rather the victim was the one kille?
he defended himself against a lowlife who got what he deserved. Occupational hazard!

why is it "disturbing"?

he was a victim of an unprovoked potentially lethal attack and as a former services man he did what came to him instintively.

sorry im not a friend of criminals, my sympathy is with the victims of crime.
mainly local poor people!!!
and thats not accounting for the 'silent victims' the taxi drivers, soda owners tour guides etc who will struggle to pay their bills because less toursits will be spending money in their area because of crimnal scum like this!

The Ticos i know think kit was 'funny' as well and they have the same attitude as me, GOOD RIDDANCE|!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM

well said guan!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM

thx Peter.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM

I find this an interesting post. It seems clear that frontier justice is alive, well, tolerated and even encouraged in Costa Rica - by some.

While holding innocent people up at gun point is not an appropriate act, it is necessary to both look for the reasons that drive individuals to crime and to allow justice to take its appropriate course.

I think that history has shown repeatedly that violence begets more violence and the cycle continues. The bravado will die down quickly when innocents fall, or perhaps even those yet to be determined guilty.

We all have different views of a just society, but we should likely tolerate differing views of what one considers disturbing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM

"reasons that drive individuals to crime and to allow justice to take its appropriate course"

theyre not robbing people because theyre starving. theyre robbiung people out of choice!
we'll have to agree to disagree on this as i live here and i have had friends robbed in their house at gunpoint whilst the robbers discussed whether or not to rape his wife.
they were caught and identified and let go by the police that day!
there is NO justice system to speak of here.
so when a scumbag with a gun gets his come uppance im afraid im not going to weep over it!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

The Old guys had every right to beat the living shit out of the criminals who threated them and their loved ones. All this bleeding heart stuff is for the birds. That is one of the problems here in America. The thugs have more rights than the victim. It's our God given right to protect our loved ones and property no matter where it happens.

little did those thugs know that someone has been using their Geratol. i think I'll get me a bottle.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

I guess as an American, you have a right to interpret how God gives out rights. It shouldn't surprise one that these interpretations can lead too many other parts of the world to view Americans as they do. At times, while this is disappointing, it is not surprising.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

havinfun;

It sounds as though You would have liked the Old Guy on the tour bus to just let the criminals have their way with them and their loved ones.

And not just as an American see's God's word, but anyone who reads the bible, it's the part that say's something like this, an eye for an eye...

American's (real American's)don't care what other countries think of us, it's our neighbors next door were worrying about. I hope your doing the same.

Have Fun
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I'm glad the tourists were not hurt. On the other hand I see no reason to celebrate a death, regardless.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM

T10 - I guess by your definition I don't qualify as an American. I agree with Tully am glad the tourists were unhurt.

I believe that one of the reasons that justice systems were developed was to eliminate individual interpretation of "an eye for an eye...". One could argue in this case that the "eye" of holding up someone at gunpoint was brought to appropriate vengence by putting the individual in the headlock and breaking bones causing death. I imagine subdduing for the authorities would be another version, versus killing him. I would have to ask would it have been acceptable to also kill the knife wielders, what about thieves with baseball bats, howabout just individuals showing aggressive behaviour?

Guanacaste brings up some horrific stories around police behaviour and the lack of a justice system. I would hope we could agree that progress in this area would go a long way towards preventing such terrible incidents in the future. My version of real Americans are ones that can bring real progress to the world, and actually do care what others think, because it is a source of pride. There are many examples of this, and that to me is a real American footprint.

As for my neighbours I personally don't waste a lot of time worrying. I believe in the lessons of Mandela and Ghandi, and therefore work to build a common future based on trust. One of the great things about this forum is gaining enlightenment through travel. I also think that by understanding the history of where we travel we can further build on this, as I have when visiting both these countries.

Then again, I may just be a dreamer!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM

I am certainly glad none of the tourists were injured(at least not physically). Quite certain it will not be as easy to get over mentally.

He had every right to defend himself and aquaintances. That being said, jumping on an armed gunman with a gun held on someone could have gone horribly wrong, the gun could have gone off and injured the woman. I was under the impression the wisest thing to do is hand over the valuables. But I was not there....

What I AM extremely suprised at is the laissez faire attitude, and gleeful(juvenile IMHO) celebration of a death. Less said best said folks. You generally give sound advice Guan, your glib remaks set you in a different light with less credibility for me. You obviously will not care, just my opinion. A little restraint goes a long way.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM

In many parts of Latin America reported thefts are met with yawning indifference by the authorities. In some countries, the thieves have bribed the beat cops for "franchise" rights to rob American and other tourists...so, while I am saddened that the armed robber died as a result of the headlock, another part of me is extremely glad that a message will be sent to other would be robbers that ripping off Americanos is not without risk. Maybe it will give other ladrones pause and make it just a little safer for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -