Search

Off the Beaten Path in CR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
RHR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off the Beaten Path in CR

Trying to figure out some things to do or places to go that are less touristy than the usual spots. All suggestions are welcome.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:17 AM

What kinds of things do you want to see? There are little places all over the country.

Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui is less traveled as is a good part of the southern Caribbean Coast.

Dominical

Orosi Valley

Gulfo Dulce area...Puerto Jimenez and Golfito sides.

San Luis valley just below Monteverde.

Los Angeles cloud forest

San Gerardo de Dota

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
RHR
Original Poster

Jessie

Thanks for writing back.
You seem very knolegeable. We are looking to hike, white water raft, canopy tours, zip lines, relax, etc. Have a reservation in Manuel Antonio for 4 or 5 days (is that enough, too much, or just right) and are looking to fill up the remaining four days. We do not have any travel or budget constraints. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
lvk

In my opinion, 4 or 5 days at MA may be too long, especially since you are looking for "less touristy" places. I think that 3 days there would be plenty.

Check out the following websites www.turubari.com and www.costaricafinca.com. We were at Turubari park in August, and there seemed to be only one or two other families there. It just opened in 2003, so is not in the guidebooks yet. It may be worth a stop on your way to or from MA.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:08 AM

Jessie-
Have you been to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest? We are thinking of stopping there for the day on our way to Arenal since we won't have time for Monteverde. What did you do there?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:12 AM

For a much less touristy 'beach' location, consider a couple nights at Playa Zancudo. Much more quiet and less visited than Manuel Antonio.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:10 AM

Our family goes as far back as the 60's in CR when my father in law was on the board of directors of La Selva OTS but CR has changed so much in just the last 3 or 4 years that it is hard to keep up with (but certainly fun trying). It is a constantly changing country. It is also a fun, easy, country to get to know and you will also be an "expert" like many after just one trip. My husband is hoping to retire next year and start taking tropical biology classes down there so I can't wait to spend more time down there!

I would give Manuel Antonio 3 days tops with the short amount of time you will have in the country. Another slightly out of the way, but in that general area, place would be just down the road at Rafiki Rainforest Lodge. Great food and right on the Rio Savegre. The Savegre is one of the rivers you can raft on from Manuel Antonio. You can easily access Dominical from there also. You could think about a loop that would take you through MA to Dominical (slightly further south is Marino Bellena Marine park where the Humpbacks migrate every year from Dec. through April) through San Isidro, into the Orosi/Turrialba (more rafting) areas and then back to San Jose. Tapanti is a great cloud forest area and definitely off the beaten track. If you have time you might be able to take a quick peek at Irazu volcano on your way back into the city.

If you do decide to stay in Manuel Antonio because of your reservations you could check out Gaialinks RioSPAraiso tours. A good opportunity to get into the coastal rainforest area and sit in some hot springs, they do have a canopy tour.

I have been to many privately owned cloud forests over the years but Los Angeles is not one of them. Los Angeles is not known for having quetzals if that is your reason for going. IMO there are better places to just go hiking. Also better places to see birds.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM

I would check out the iso penninsula. It has 100,000 acre corcovodo rainforest and excellent eco lodges and wildlife.

I stayed 4 days at Lap rios and thought it was amazing. Excellent wildlife viewing, amazing views of rainforest and gulf, a great pool, great food and great service.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
RHR
Original Poster

Hi Jessie,
I think it will take many trips to gain your knowledge. I wish I would have gotten to CR 10 years ago, when I first wanted to go. We are now looking into spending some time down south on the Osa Pen then on to MA. The choices are so many, I think more trips will be a must.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM

Go to the Osa. I too have heard many good things about Playa Zancudo and on my next trip will cross the gulf and check out the area. Any suggestions Ally?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM

No, sorry no suggestions! We 'hit' upon the area about 8 or 9 years ago while staying at a little place in Pavones. There was really nothing there then, but since that time I know that some places have been built. It's such a long way there, (about 7 hours from San Jose) so we have not been back. We stayed at a place in Pavones called La Rancho Ponderosa that has also 'grown up' (didn't have hot water when we were there, now they do) that was nice. The beach off their property is still the prettiest beach I have ever seen in Costa Rica. Not great for swimming at all, but SO awe-inspiring for it's beauty!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Ally you won't believe this- last night I was in a bar with friends, watching seriously depressing CNN "final" results. It was boys night out and since we got tired of loudly picking on the administation I started talking about my last vacation. After about 5 minutes one of the other 2 people at the bar walked over and introducded himself as a Tico- I have never met a Tico in the US. During our stay in Puerta Jimenez other Tico joked with us by asking "How many Ticos do you know in the states, none right?" to demonstrate how hard it is to get a visa for a Tico.
So my new Tico friend Ronnie asks where we visited last in CR. He was suprised we had stayed in Puerta Jimenez as it is a less known destination(main thread). Ronnie identified himself as a native of Golfito first but when he realized we were familiar with the surrounding area(some travel some reading) Ronnie clarified his home to be in Playa Zancudo and his occupation to be the captain/owner of a fishing boat. He said that Playa Zancudo has undergone some development, mainly new houses for gringos but it is still off the beaten path and very quiet. If you want to rent a boat and captain for transport around the gulf Ronnie is the man to call- 776 0048 / 826 3954 or email at [email protected] or [email protected].

I thought this was worth posting to this thread
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:26 AM

I have spent a lot of time on the Osa Peninsula in the Puerto Jimenez area. Have also stayed in Drake Bay. My husband stayed at La Esquinas over on the other side of the Gulf this summer. What types of things do you want to see or do there?

BTW there are things to be said for having been to CR before many of the roads were paved and something to be said about now. It is certainly much easier to get around now.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Great information to have! Thanks, GFH. One day I'd like to return to the south and spend about 10 days at Playa Zancudo, Pavones, and the Osa. I met a young man on the bus this summer from Pavones and he loves it there. It has quite an interesting and rowdy history which I find very interesting.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM

This talk is of great interest to me. We are going to Osa in the next 2 weeks. For those of you who have been there is Drake Bay or Puerta Jimenez a better spot to set up home for 3-4 days to explore the area? Or do you have another choice. We are looking at Pirate's Cove at Drake Bay and haven't found a spot in PJ. Sorry to but in but thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM

You won't find a better hotel on the Golfo Dulce (Puerto Jimenez) side than Bosque del Cabo. It is south of PJ about 45 min. on Cabo Matapalo. You will see a LOT of wildlife here and in this general area!