Search

Oaxaca Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca Trip Report

We visited Oaxaca City and Huatulco Feb. 16th-24th. In responce to questions raiesd earlier on this forum I can tell you that Oaxaca City seemed very safe. There were small groups of policeman(3 or 4) stationed at street corners a block or so from the Zocolo and some in front of the Cathedral, nothing oppressive or frightening.
One night thay had a concert next to the Cathedral-Oaxaca Vive-we don't speak Spanish but got the impression the concert was supposed to celebrate the return to normalcy.
We stayed at the Parador San Miguel-excellent-close to the Zocolo, quiet and it has an excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinner. There weren't a lot of tourists in Oaxaca so if you arrive independently you can negotiate the price of your room. We met an English traveller who had just done that. He was the only person in his hotel.
The walking tour in Moon Handbook is a good way to see the city. We ate dinner at our hotel and at several restaurants on the Zocolo-all were excellent.
The Oaxaca Saturday market was a disappoointment-it is in a book I have called 1,000 places to see before you die. We didn't see many crafts there-just everyday household items. The Artisans Mercados were better for crafts.You can die without seeing this.
We took tours through the tour agency on Independencia across from the Cathedral. One to Monte Alban and the village where rugs are made. We also toured Mitla. Both tours were excellent-highly recommended.(We bought a small rug).
Oaxaca is a beautiful city and never dull-just grab a table at the Zocolo and watch the action when you are tired of touring.Bring a jacket-it was very cool at night-beautiful during the days.
We flew to Huatulco on AirToucan-a 14 seater. There was only one other couple on the flight and they had just booked the day before. 30 minute flight was beautiful. We stayed at Aqua Azul- a small bed and breakfast run by a Canadian couple in a residential area.Beautiful house, nice room, great views and breakfast was included. There are several large all inclusives on a nearby bay if you prefer that and there are hotels in Cruceita. Every day we took taxis to a different beach. Some are developed with restaurants, umbrellas etc. and others are completely undeveloped.All are beautiful with clean water and some have great snorkeling. One day we hired a taxi driver for a tour of the Huatulco Bays-it was great. We ate in different restaurants in the town Cruceita. The B&B owners gave us good recommendations. Although you had to take taxis to the beach and town they were very cheap-$3-$4 almost everywhere. Weather was beautiful-hot,humid, sunny. They claim there is zero rain in the dry season-November-March and it only rains one day in April.
The worst part of the trip was the Mexico City airport. When we arrived we saw no signs to customs but eventually found our way by asking at information booths. At this airport they put everyone waiting for flights in a central waiting room and they don't post the gate antil the boarding time is close.I suppose we will get used to this if we return but it seemed stressful. On the return flight American cancelled out flight to Miami and we were put on AeroMexico- a roomy and comfortable plane with a MEAL for the 3 hour flight to Miami. Big seats and nice legroom. At Miami we were put on the sardine can that American calls a plane. Very tight seating-no food.
Huatulco had many tourists- mostly Canadians and Americans from the midwest or West coast. If you go remember that Continental flies direct to Huatulco from Houston-no Mexico City changes.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I'm so glad to hear it felt secure and back to normal! I was there in July (there were protests and problems at that point but it wasn't overwhelming) and would like to return with my husband. Thanks for the update!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

I should add that the owner of the B & B in Huatulco felt that the media had exaggerated the danger during the protests and he insisted that they were over for good.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I am so glad to hear that things are better. We have several friends who had to go back there from the states for one reason or another and quite a few that are still here but haven't seen their families for a long time. We really want to get to Oaxaca now that things have calmed down.

Thanks for the heads up on Aero Mexico also.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM

That's great! I didn't go this year because of the news.

If I can ask how much was the flight from Oaxaca to Huatulco? I would like to go later this year or next if I can find a good flight.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Fare was $150USD per person one way. If you book a hotel with the Oaxaca group there is a discount.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the report.

About the situation last year in Oaxaca: I think there's a general consensus in the travel industry that the incidents were underplayed, not overplayed. The terrorism and violence was quite serious - and many tourists were negatively impacted. Yes, it's good to see that things have calmed down.

About the airfare to Huatulco: I'm under the impression the fare is about US$100 each way. Maybe it's risen, or maybe someone tacked-on an unexpected "commission."

Huatulco's a very nice destination - and I think it's unfortunate more people don't take the time to vacation there.

Again, thanks for the report!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Great report--we did this trip two years ago--even stayed at Agua Azul. Owners are "quirky"--so take their news about Oaxaca with a grain of salt. Can't wait to return!