Search

Oaxaca to Uxmal?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca to Uxmal?

We will be in Oaxaca for 10 days at Christmas (Dec.23 to Jan. 2)
Does it make sense to try to fly to see Uxmal just after that, and if so, how can we get there and how long should we stay? Should we come back to Oaxaca if we want to fly back through Houston? Thanks for any help any of you experts can give.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Uxmal is seveal hundred miles away which does seem rather a long way to go to see it. There are some 1300 historical sites in Mexico of which about 450 are excavated and open. Perhaps somewhere a little nearer?

10 days in Oaxaca does seem a trifle long. I'd say spend a few days there, then onto Uxmal, then to Chichen Itza, maybe to Coba if enough time, then Cancun for a few days and fly home from there.

Buses are very easy to get around Mexico but beware of petty theft/pickpocketing by the locals anywhere in Mexico.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM

Hi Betsys -

Uxmal is well worth the effort. Check the guidebooks for Mexico's domestic airlines. You may be able to find a direct flight from Oaxaca to Merida. You could stay in Merida for a couple of days - we really liked the Casa del Balam - and then rent a car. There are many car rental places, both international and local, on the same block as the Casa del Balam, so it's extremely convenient. Uxmal is only about an hour's drive south. I haven't stayed at the Lodge there, but I have had lunch there, and it looked pretty nice. There are plenty of other interesting archeological sites in the area.

Have a great time!

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM

If you don't feel like all that traveling there is plenty to keep you busy in the Oaxaca Valley for 10 days. Ruins- Monte Alban, Mitla, and Yagul for starters. Market days, Tlatcolula, Zachilla and Ocotlan, etc., etc. Various towns and their crafts, Arrazola, Teotitlan, Atzompa, etc., etc. If you want to get further off the beatn path, musuem at Jose el Mogote, even further Noixchitlan, the ex-covent at Coxtlihuaca or, up into the moutains to the east Guelatao, Ixtlan, etc. plus Oaxaca city itself. if the area meets your fancy, plenty to do.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM

As Dude reported--there is much to see around Oaxaca. That said, 10 days is a bit long--why not fly AeroTucan to Huatulco for a few days on the beach? Continental flys out of there which probably means an easy connection (or not) to Houston.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM

You can fly direct from Oaxaca to Houston. It is sure the easiest. I just bought some tickets to do that and was surprised to find the cheapest ones were on the Continenetal site. Usually I have found the discounters to be cheaper for whatever its worth.