Search

Not Enough Time!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Not Enough Time!!

Of course, I don't have enough time to do half of what I'd like in Costa Rica. Our trip has us starting in Manuel Antonio (3 nights - but arrive around dinner time the first night), then to Arenal (spending a day to get there - and then 3 nights), ending up at Peace Lodge for two nights before we fly home the last day. I'm currently working on activities for Manuel Antonio. We arrive on Friday night and will be going to church on Sunday (Easter) in the morning. So I'm wondering if I can do a full day activity on Saturday - or if I need to save the day to visit MA park. I could go to the park on Sunday (Easter) afternoon - but I'm worried that I would either not get in or not see any monkeys in the afternoon. Any advice?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on what I've been reading it's best to get to the park by 7:00am to avoid getting into a long line. Sounds insane, but I guess that's what we're going to do. Maybe you could do the Finca Valmy horseback or Damas mangroves after church on Sunday?

We will be in Arenal the same dates as you. Where did you end up booking for a hotel?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi hipvirgochick. We're staying as Lost Iguana in Arenal. Of course, we have too little time there as well!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM

I would go to the park early on Saturday; they really do limit the amount of people that can go in, so it's best to get there early. Just a reminder to everyone that the park is closed on Mondays, but sounds like you'll be on your way to Arenal then. We loved the Lost Iguana. When we were there, they had a free shuttle that ran into town around dinnertime, but they didn't advertise it, so be sure to check into it if you don't want to drive. They also sell half price tickets to the Hanging Bridges at the front desk.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM

No, there's never enough time to see everything in one trip to CR, that's for sure!

Have a great time! We'll be staying at Los Lagos this time around.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Does you have to wait in long lines at MA if you're doing an excursion/guided tour arranged through your hotel? Or is that just if you're doing the park on your own?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM

The lines are pretty much first come, first served, whether on your own or with a guide. The park is great to do very early anyway, not just for avoiding the lines but the animals are a little more active, you (hopefully) won't be tripping over so many people in the park and it's (a little) cooler, but not much. Also, not only does the park get packed in the afternoon but I can only imagine that after church on easter Sunday it would be really, really packed.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM

jay, we didn't really have to wait in long lines - just that there's a constant stream of people, and once they get in, that's it. They only let so many people gain entrance. One thing that's kind of funny - there's a bit of the entrance that can go under water from the tide, so a man with a boat sits there, and you can pay him a tiny bit of money to step through his boat, so you don't get your ankles wet. I guess the amount of water varies with time and tide. Our guide told us that there was talk of building a small bridge there, but it would put this guy out of business.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM

I just wanted to warn the OP -- whatever you plan, check opening hours. I was in CR at Easter in '06, and EAster is a really big holiday weekend there -- a lot of places were closed on the Sunday & Easter Monday.
I think starting in the afternoon would be very exhausting--it'll probably be hot -- I remember sweat pouring off me on the trail in Manuel Antonio -- and I went in the morning. Also, I'd hate to be rushed there, because you go to see the animals -- and they aren't going to rush out on cue!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM

I think you have an excellent itinerary even though we'd all agree it's never enough! Hence those repeat visits!

The Costa Ricans will be vacationing as well and Arenal and MA are two locations very easy to get to for the couple million folks who live in the central valley! Manuel Antonio is likely to be very crowded that weekend (as will all of the favorite destinations), so DO expect lots of people trying to enter the park that Saturday morning. Get there early--or spend the extra bucks and reserve through hotel--any hotel will do this for you and the park guides will pick you up.

And enjoy Peace Lodge! What a great way to relax those last 2 days. . you'll be amazed!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I'm the original poster and just returned from a fantastic trip. We only did about a third of the things I had researched - but it was the right amount of things for two teens and their parents (us)! I'll write a full trip report in a couple of days but wanted to mention a couple of things today.

First, we hired a guide, Juan Brenes, of Aguilla tours, to take us through Manuel Antonio park. He came highly recommended and didn't disaapoint! We learned a lot, saw a lot, took some great photos through his scope and we did skip to the front of the line at the park. We even saw a crocodile in the surf at the third beach in the park... Glad we weren't swimming that day as many others were! We ended up going in the afternoon (1pm) so our teens could sleep in and it was perfect. The park was quieter since many people come in the morning - yet we saw tons of animals (capuchins, squirrel monkeys, sloths, birds, insects, bats and the crocodile). And this was done the day before Easter - so it was a busy weekend in general in MA. Juan can be reached at [email protected].

Second, although we enjoyed the Lost Iguana Lodge in Arenal, we never saw the top of the volcano or any evidence of lava.

Finally, Peace Lodge was an excellent end of the trip destination - and the weather cooperated giving us sunny warm days when we were there.

Again, I write a longer trip report later!

Lynne

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Sounds wonderful. Looking forward to more. Planning a return trip sometime? What did your kids think?