Search

Nicaragua or Honduras

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicaragua or Honduras

Generally speaking. Which country is more expensive in terms of hotels, food, activities, transportation etc. I have an opportunity to go to CA but want to keep costs at a minimum. I have already been to Ecuador and Guatamala. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Hi Lilypoo, I can't answer your question but could you please comment on prices in Guatemala? I am considering a trip to either Guatemala or Nicaragua next year.
I'd love to read about your impressions of Guatemala. Thank you.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM

I can't compare prices but the 2 countries each offer things the other can't - Maya ruins and the Bay Islands in Honduras, for example, and colonial cities and surfing in Nicaragua. Looking forward to hearing what you decide as Nica is on my wish list.

travelme - Guatemala is fabulous and can be visited very cheaply. My photos and travelogues are linked below if you're interested.

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:18 AM

lilypoo,
I went to both places recently. Nicaragua in November and Honduras in Feb. Both were wonderful places to visit.Although we stayed at different types of places on both places, I would have to say that they probably pretty comparable. It really depends on where you want to go in each country as the cost of transfers can add up.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Hi Hopefulist. I had the pleasure of seeing your pictures before. They are beautiful. I am pulled between either Guatemala and Nicaragua. Logistically and pricewise, Guatemala is winning right now but I have been intrigued with what I have read about Nicargua. Guatemala was in our plans last year but it fell through. I might have a harder time "selling" Nicaragua to my travel companion. Thanks again.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM

I think everyone should visit Guatemala. I really love Belize and Honduras but Guatemala takes the cake - incredibly diverse and beautiful natural environments and the most colorful and strong indigenous culture in CA. Infrastructure is good and prices low on the beaten path; off the path prices are even lower and experiences even richer, especially if you speak some Spanish. I hope to visit Nicaragua someday, too, but it simply doesn't have the same draw for me because I'm crazy about historical and contemporary indigenous cultures. Happy trails!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Travelme I agree with Hopefulist regarding Guatemala. It was a beautiful country and easy to get around. It was also very inexpensive. I went by myself in 2004. I used the usual precautions for a woman traveling alone and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable.