Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

No response from Puerto Madryn agencies!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the message I have sent several tour agencies/private guides and haven't received one answer.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but have only found ONE itinerary that they all do. The long drive to Punto Tombo and then a drive back to the pier. We're not wanting to see pengunis there (I know it's a great spot) but have some back problems and can't do the long haul. (We are seeing penguins in Punta Arenas by the way)

What do you, fellow Fodorites, suggest? I've about run out of people to write.

Dear Sir:

We are not interested in the drive to Punto Tombo due to back backs. However, here are some ideas of things we are interested in - no particular order:

Drive down to "Punta Loma Reserve,” to see the permanent colony of sea lions and the nesting site of cormorants.

Drive to Estancia San Guillermo (or another Patagonian Ranch), to see sheep and maybe have a snack (like lamb empanadas) there?

Visit the “Ecocentro Puerto Madryn” Museum.

Visit Trelew and/or Gaiman as we are interested in the traditions that the Welsh ancestors brought from the old world. After touring the town, enjoy a traditional tea. If possible we would enjoy hearing a local Welsh choir during teatime - (or anywhere)

Is this too much to do? We have from 9:00 to 6:00 - of course we need to be back to the ship by 5:00PM.

Your suggestions and comments are eagerly awaited!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Assuming your cruise ship docks in Puerto Madryn, you will not be able to visit all of the areas you talk about. That is, unless you want to be in the car all day. The best you can hope for in the allotted 8 hours is to see the sea lions and visit the Museum and, if there is one in the area, possibly an Estancia. Even then you will be in a car for at least 4 hours. In the event you will be in Puerto Madryn when the whales are around, I would strongly suggest a whale watch. You will literally be able touch the mother whales and their newborns.
You should opt for a private tour and you will then be able to set your own itinerary.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi JerryS and thanks for the reply.

No, unfortunately we wll miss the whales, being there in late January.

I haven't been able to find anyone to do a private tour, and that is the problem. I even wrote the city tourism (a few weeks ago) and posed my question/request - but to no avail. Not even a reply!

Do you have any suggestion about how I can find a private tour? Are you familiar with Puerto Madry? Would it be possible to hail a taxi as we disembark? Or find a taxi close-by?

Thanks,
Brahmama
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Hello Brahmama, Suggest you contact Monica Berg at [email protected]. Telephone number is 00542965496132.
She is associated with a Travel Agency we used when in Puerto Madryn.
Good luck.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

This is great. Thanks, JerryS, just what I was hoping for. I'll email her and see what's possible.