Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nature Air Crash in Costa Rica

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12...-visitors.html
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 03:31 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that - so incredibly sad.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 04:52 PM

Yes - so sad.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How sad for this family.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 07:34 PM

I know the family from NY that died in this crash...the youngest son was in the same grade as my daughter. It's really unbelievable.

And now I'm wondering what to do about our upcoming trip to Costa Rica in February since my daughter is a bit freaked out (understandably so, and so am I!). We are starting in Manuel Antonio and then going to Arenal. We are scheduled on Sansa and with the way the flights work out, we leave Quepos at 9:40 and arrive at La Fortuna at 12:40 with 2 stops along the way. We are a family of 4.

Should we fly or hire a driver? I know it's about 4 1/2-5 hours, but I'm thinking that the time all in with the flights, the timing would pretty much be the same either way. If we leave Tulemar (where we are staying) at 8am, we could be to La Fortuna by 1 or so.

My husband thinks I'm crazy and the statistics are still in our favor and we have a better chance of dying on our local roads at home! I was in Costa Rica 20 years ago, before I was married, and my friend and I went from San Jose to Quepos on a small plane...we wouldn't have gone by car for a variety of reasons at that time.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 08:27 PM

This is just an opinion, but I'd opt for the car. If it was a straight flight it would be different, but 3 flights in 3 hours is not only a hassle with kids in tow but will increase the stress level of your trip, especially for a child who has lost a classmate in that area just a month or 2 before. Maybe there are a few stops en route that would break up the car ride and make it a plus instead of a minus. Just my 2 colones' worth...
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:28 AM

Thank you. My kids are 11 and 13, and good travelers, but the 3 flights is just sounding like a big hassle, like you said. I guess my concern with driving is the roads. I know that the roads have improved considerably since my last visit to CR 20 years ago, but still not sure how great they are...
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:45 AM

Hopefully others will chime in about that since I have yet to visit CR. In August I planned and mostly reserved a CR trip for January that ended up not happening due to a traveling companion's health; Pat Hewitt was really helpful with ideas and could help set up transportation if you don't have a different provider in mind.
http://www.lovecostarica.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 07:03 AM

We've always just hired a private driver for the drive. You can reserve them through your hotels. We save flying for areas that are harder to get to like the Osa and Tortuguero. This crash would not deter me from flying, but if you think it would make your family feel better, the roads are in pretty good shape in those areas. Like you said, the driving would probably be easier given the multiple flights. We've always flown Sansa and have felt safe doing it.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:30 AM

Thank you. It's the 3-flight part that's giving me a nagging feeling. We have some time to think about it, so not sure which way we will go yet.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Drive. The roads on routes to such major areas as Arenal and Quepos are well travelled and in good shape. Shouldn’t be a problem. If you take into consideration having to arrive early at the airport for check in, the time would be about the same. Plus with 2 stops, any delay in the earlier flights could delay you getting to your destination.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:25 PM

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Vkg712, I am so sorry to hear about your child's classmate. This was so tragic. I read that it was a Backroads tour and the dead included one of their guides.

You should have an assigned concierge with Tulemar. They'll be able to recommend and even arrange a driver if you like. We were very happy with all their recommendations, particularly our driver that brought us from San Jose.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:42 PM

Thanks, it's just a real tragedy. I read today that it was a Backroads trip. My husband and I went on a Backroads trip in 2001 and we still talk about how amazing it was and how one day we need to go on another trip and take our kids.

I think that we have decided that hiring a driver is the better way to go. Just feels right at this time.