Need to bring snorkeling equipment?

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to bring snorkeling equipment?

We;ll be touring the Yucatan this summer, staying at the Akumal Beach resort and one other place near Tulum. We want to go snorkeling from the shore with our kids (ages 8 and 6). Should we bring snorkeling equipment with us (which we would have to buy and pack) or will their be reasonably priced rentals around so it won't be a problem just to rent?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Hi Monica - we brought our own snorkeling equipment to the Yucatan and were glad we did - I didn't notice where you could rent any, but there must be some places to rent, but then again.....We did find a few out of the way cenotes where we snorkeled and I know there was no equipment rental place nearby. One of those was right off the road on the way to Yal Ku on Akumal. We saw a few manatees and some cool fish. Yal Ku is also well worth a day of snorkeling - so many beautiful fish!

BTW - I'm planning a trip to BdC in CR in July and came across your adorable YouTube video - Loved it!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Unless you think you'll never use them again, my recommendation is to buy masks and snorkels and rent fins. The fit and comfort of masks is monumental when it comes to enjoying snorkeling. I have kind of a small face and many masks leak like crazy for me; kids are apt to find the same or may have to tighten the mask hard to keep water out which can become really painful fairly quickly, especially if the mask is made from a product besides silicone in the 1st place. Snorkels, too, aren't all the same, affecting comfort and performance (some keep waves out) plus I think breathing in the slime left behind by a dozen strangers is icky.

Online scuba places often have snorkel sets or dive masks that are last year's models and priced well. Very best is black silicone imo though clear silicone and even a silicone mix would work for snorkeling as long as the fit's good. Just my 2 cents' worth.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will be shopping. The kids will just get Target Speedo specials (sorry kids) and my husband and I will try out the Costco set as their stuff is usually good for the price.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM

A mask fits if it will stay easily on your face with no strap when you put it on and inhale; it shouldn't have hard places that hurt when the strap is on. Sometimes the mouth parts of the snorkels are large and stiff and can hurt. Be sure to try everything on ahead since you might be better off returning them and renting if they're not comfortable.

Have a blast and be sure to tell us all about it.