Please educate me - Tortuguero, Puerto Limon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys - can you give me the scoop on Tortuguero vs. Puerto Limon? When I look on tripadvisor for places to stay, a lot of the spots you have mentioned are in Puerto Limon, not Tortuguero. Are these the same place, or is one inside the other, or is Tortuguero the national park? I'm trying to straighten it all out. Thanks for the help. I know you guys will know!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I haven't been to Tortuguero yet, but will be there Feb. 10-12. We will be going to the port of Moin, near Puerto Limon to catch the boat with the Watsons. From there it is about three hours through the canals and rivers to Tortuguero National Park and the village of Tortuguero. Laguna Lodge, Panchira, Evergreen and other lodges are at Tortuguero.

Are you sure they aren't using Puerto Limon for mailing address or something? I think both are located in the province of Limon. From what I've read there is nothing you want to see or do in Puerto Limon.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You want to check lodging in Tortuguero. It is in the Province of Limon. Puerto Limon is the capital and NOT where you want to stay.

MY
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I find the way TA list hotels is confusing sometimes as far as location. I usually click on the forums first then go to the hotels in that forum.

MY
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Okay, that makes sense. I saw Mawamba Lodge was listed in Puerto Limon in the Province of Limon. If I click further through, it eventually says on the Tortuguero Canals. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hi vgirl -- I posted on your Pacuare thread, but thought I'd reply here on Tortugero. I found the hotel reviews to be confusing, choice of tours, and basically just a limited number of places to choose from. I read an article on promoting tourism on the Pacific vs. Caribbean and it seems to ring true. I started researching Tortugero before I made my first trip, and still had a difficult time choosing.

Right now I'm leaning towards Turtle Beach Lodge and have a reservation inquiry with them. I like the location, reviews, 3 day/2night package they offer and can add kayaking to round it out. Instead of the boat/bus back to San Jose I'll fly out, connect in San Jose and land in Uvita around 10:00am where Tully will pick me up.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Hi VG

another vote for Turtle Beach Lodge...

Puerto Limon downtown is dodgier than downtown SJ

You do not want to stay there...

www.hotelplayawestfalia.com out on a beach

by the airport is the best hotel I found close to PL.

if you must stay in that area.

Good hunting...
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys - I was looking at a place called Tortuga Lodge; it seems to get great reviews. I'll check out Turtle Beach Lodge too.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Tortuga Lodge with Costa Rica Expeditions looks good too!

Well, I did it. I booked the 2 night package with Turtle Beach Lodge so I'll let you know how it is! Hope to throw in the night tour while I'm there and some kayaking. Ultimately, I'd like to stay a couple of more days with daughter on another trip if it's as cool as I think it will be. Definitely during turtle hatching time...which just happens to coincide with good weather in Puerto Viejo and maybe check out Selva Verde then too.

Good luck deciding who to go with. It can be baffling!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Glad you got it all booked hip, looking forward to hearing about your experience there. So will you now fly Tort-Pavas-Palmar Sur?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Congrats, hip - it's always such a good feeling to get it all booked! Is the night tour to watch the turtles lay their eggs?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM

tully -- Yep, Tort-Pavas-Palmar Sur. Will need coffee upon arrival. ;-) LOL!

vgirl - No, this night tour is a nocturnal hike to look for creepy crawlies and nocturnal animals. I'll do the turtle walk one night too. It will be an exhausting two days as I think my only down time will be between 6-8 at night.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like my kind of vacation - lol!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Oh trust me, I can be lazy at home...Also, I have a whole week near the end at BDC for R & R and hiking. ;-)
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I'm a go-go vacationer too - I just don't want to miss out on anything.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Good deal, hip. You'll love it!

Ditto on the activity level. . .often need a vacation from the vacation. But with a week at Bosque, I'm definitely looking forward to a little downtime in the mix!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM

shillmac don't worry, we've got you down for downtime on Monday between 2:30 and 3:10

Just kidding! I am a go-goer too, if that is a word or not, it should be, especially mornings. But afternoons I am very good at sitting on the deck and pondering what to do next for a good 2 hours or so.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM

I'm with you then. Good to know. That first paragraph was sounding like camp!

I'm good to go in the mornings. Especially for birds. This weekend Isabelle and I put peanut butter in pine cones and rolled them in bird seed and hung them in the trees--to welcome our little friends back from the south! Had some takers already!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Maybe I can see the laughing falcon Carlos imitates so well--the one that sounds like something coming from a wild bedroom!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM

No, no, hip. It's IMPERIAL upon arrival--coffee later!

Tully, just know that our flight down to PJ doesn't arrive until about 12:30 or so--it won't look quite so bad when I drink your token Imperial at La Esquina. Frank thought I was quite a lush, I think--at 8:30 in the morning!

And that is SO not me! Truly. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -