Need suggestions for Mexico vacation-not a big resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning to go to Sayulita for a week in January but can't work out the FF miles with the houses that are available so looking for an alternate destination. We were interested in Sayulita for the following reasons:

-small town so you can walk to restaurants and businesses in town
-two hour flight from Phoenix (we could also drive somewhere)
-Not any big resort type hotels
-places to explore by car along the coast

Let me know if there are other areas you can think of that would fit our requirements where we could rent a house and enjoy exploring the area.

Thanks

Debbie
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Todos Santos, La Paz, or San Jose del Cabo (the actual town of) on the Baja?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I thought about San Jose Del Cabo but haven't ever been there. Have been to Cabo and didn't care for it but I understand San Jose del Cabo might be like Sayulita is to Puerto Vallarta. Does it have the cute downtown area? Any info on the other places welcome also.

Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Troncones or Barra de Potosi. Both near Zihuatanejo & both on fabulous beaches However Troncones is a surfers beach & not safe for swimmers. Barra's 7 plus miles of beach is great for swimming. It also has a freshwater Lagoon teeming with wildlife viable from rental kayaks. It is a true Mexican Fishing Village with dirt roads, a dozen or so beach cafés & maybe 10 Inns. About 20 minutes from Zihua which in it's self is a smaller low keyed village.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Yelapa is a great place. Quick 45 minute boat ride from Puerto Vallerta. It is a whole different world. I stayed at casa pericos. It was a great time. So much to do, you can watch the whales and mantas from your room. I never thought I would go to Mexico and this trip made me want to go back.

http://yelapacasa.com/
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

After reading various websites I think that Barra de potosi, and trocones and Yelapa are a bit too small and just beach oriented but good places to visit. Zihuatanejo looks interesting if we can find a place to rent that is not a condo. We do like having a town to go into and I can't quite tell if it a big place or is more village like with a mix of locals and gringos. I think that is what we liked about Sayulita.

After reading other posts it sounds like we can get by without a car if we stay in the right area of Zihuatanejo, is that right? I guess that means a house with beach view that we can walk into town. We would want to rent a car at least a couple of days and I assume there is a place to do that there-or are we better to do just do the car from Aculpulco and have it all week? We have always done rental cars in the past but with the insurance costs it can add up.

Also, thanks for the LaPaz, todos santos suggestion-still checking out options there.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM

All kinda of Lodging choices in Zihuatanejo. From $500 a night to under $30. A nice choice Off the beach is the Hotel Solimar Suites. In actually apartments with separate bedrooms, living/dinning plus private bath, kitchenettes & balconies over looking a small park. Nice pool & English speaking hosts. Located about 5 minutes from the beach & El Centro with great cafés, shopping & entertainment. Under $100.
A bit More is Brisas del Mar on Playa Madera the most peaceful of beaches. Huge balconies with possibly the best view on Mexico's West Coast. Located almost above MJ & Richie's the Best Beach Café in all of Mexico. Not the fanciest, just the best prices, food, service & most friendly. Again about 5 minutes to El Centro But many of the best Cafés are within a block or two. Under $150 per.
Feel free to E-mail me with any questions about Zihua.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Try Playacar about 45 minutes south of Cancun Airport. There are a lot of rental homes in Playcar Phase 1. You can walk to Playa del Carmen with its quaint 5th Avenue shops and huge number or restaurants. Even further south is Puerto Adventuras and Tanka or Tankha area with homes all along the beach that are often rented. We go to Playacar Phase one to our timeshare often. We enjoy the mutltitued of great restaurants in Playa del Carmen, Puerto Adventuras and Tulum.
The ruins in Tulum are beautiful and another ruin, huge with a fantastic pyramid is another 45 minute drive inland and is Coba! You can walk it, bike it or have a Myan bike you into the site! All along the coridor are cenotes and underground lakes to visit. Progress has come to this part of Mexico. It used to be a very slow 2 lane road through the jungle to get there. It is now a 4 lane with business along the road. I am going there in October. In February I am going to Cabo. I am not fond of Cabo but I do know the places to go in San Jose to eat and get out of the noisy area of Cabo. I am going there because it is a 2 hour flight and a quick get away with a sister. I prefer Playcar and Playa del Carmen!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Zihuatanejo is a lot smaller that Vallarta but a lot larger than Sayulita. Yelapa is definitely WAY smaller than what you are seeking, plus you can only get there by boat, so (while a very nice place) fairly limited.