Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Need input - do Cano Negro tour or add another day in Osa

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I'm asking this is because people keep saying 3 nights is enough in Arenal. Right now, we have 4, but arrive in the afternoon and leave early on our last day. If we shorten to 3 nights we really only have 2 full days and an evening. This means we might have to skip Cano Negro. However, we could add a night in Osa, but wonder if it's worth giving up Cano Negro. YES, I'm a self-doubter and need your help!

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hard call, from one self-doubter to another! How long do you have planned on the Osa right now, I forget? I spent 3 nights, 2 full days, in Arenal last year and I could've spent another day there easily. That said, I've spent 9 nights on the Osa and wasn't ready to leave yet. Haven't done the Cana Negro so can't say whether it's worth the sacrifice. Take peace in this - you really can't go wrong either way.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

tully - Too funny! That's no help at all! LOL! No, seriously, all the sudden I'm having this "last chance" feeling. Right now we have 4 nights at BDC, arriving around noon, departing around noon. I don't think it's "super bird season" for migrating birds at Cano Negro, but it would still be something different (floating and all) than Osa...

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM

It IS a hard call. I've been wondering lately if we shouldn't have planned the entire week (next week) at Bosque del Cabo, instead of splitting it with 2 nights at Arenal (also arriving late, leaving early, hence one evening and one full day).

But I SO wanted to show everyone Arenal--and hope she shows up!

We had a wonderful time at BdC on the Osa for 3 nights the first time we went, and I know that 4 nights this time will be better, of course. Yes, 5 nights would allow a little more of this paradise, but you know, I really liked the Cano Negro tour last year.

I remember our guide telling all about the 1968 eruption (on our way out of town as the tour began) when he was just a little kid and what it was like----and how life in general was back then. Then we stopped in Tanque for a look at those gigantic iguanas (I mean HUGE) lounging around in the trees off both sides of the river bridge. There must have been a hundred! We stopped a little further up the road for a snack, bathroom break, and our guide picked up our lunch (it was a prior arrangement and they had the containers ready for him). On we went to the river where we boarded our boat which took us on an amazing slow relaxing float with lots of waterbirds, more than a few monkeys (you'll see plenty of these down south!), etc. It was a very nice day. We enjoyed the company (there were 5 other people, so 7 of us besides the guide and boat capitan). Lunch was good at a little rancho on someone's property right there on the river.

I'm fairly new to birding and excited about adding new ones to my growing list of Costa Rica birds. It was cool to chalk up lots of new ones that day. Made it more interesting for me in particular--but that might not be quite as big a deal to someone else--like yourself for instance.

Now had I had that day to spend at someplace like Bosque del Cabo, I probably wouldn't do anything extra (although I might), but I'd more than likely to use it to just absorb a bit more of such a wonderful place and such gorgeous golfo vistas. Both would be time well spent!

You're going to have to draw a straw! If you're not looking to add some birds to your list that can only be found in a place like Cano Negro, maybe you'd be happier adding a day on the Osa.

Just curious: what are your plans for your 2 full days at Arenal? You know, Cano Negro will have you back in town by 3:00. Still time to enjoy the La Fortuna falls or do a little shopping in town, maybe the Hanging Bridges? Don't know for sure about that one--haven't done them yet. Still time to enjoy the hot springs at night.

Good Lord, what am I thinking? Rambling like a drunk woman. Don't waste a lot of time stewing over this issue, though--you'll be smilin' wherever you are!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac - You must be waaaaaaay more together than I am. Shouldn't you be packing?

Yes, I may just have to draw a straw, or just leave as is! In Arenal I would like to go to Fortuna falls, hanging bridges, zip lines, hot springs, Cano Negro and possibly Venado caves (although my daughter was horrified at the thought). The Cano Negro schedule I saw was 7:30-4:30. Doesn't it get dark around 5:00? I haven't ever considered myself a birder (I do have a bird tattoo though) but the more I research, the more excited I get about ALL wildlife, including birds, that I won't see anywhere else...

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I'm also wondering about the length of time involved for the Cano Negro trips. The tours I've looked into also cite a return time of 4:30. That's really a full day - especially with kids - and I'm not sure how much more we could pack in. Is there a way to self drive and get a tour there and maybe get back sooner? We leave on Tuesday and rather than get organized I am procrastinating by worrying about all the little details!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

kpie - How many nights do you have in Arenal?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Leavin' in 2 hours--been packed since Sunday!--Now that's anxious! Later. . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM

I'm thinking the same thing, we have 3 nights in Arenal and 4 nights in Osa, with 2 nights at Peace Lodge in between. I'm a self doubter too! But I'm sure no matter what we choose, it's going to be a great trip! I'd like to do Cano Negro while at Arenal, but I think we'll play it by ear once we get there. We really have two full days there. We'll arrive late the first day and then have two full days, and we'll have a car so it's up to us as far as when we leave on the third day to travel to Peace Lodge. I'm also considering the rafting from Arenal, although we've never been rafting! So that might be an adventure! A little more than a month until we leave, and I just can't wait! Have you booked your excursions yet, or are you waiting until you get there?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi Shell -- Sounds like we have a similar itinerary. I agree with you and others, why stress, we're gonna have a blast no matter what! We might go rafting as well, so I'm leaning towards sticking to the 4 nights in Arenal, giving us 3 full days and an evening, but I'm going to work out plans this weekend to finalize. I don't think we'll book anything in advance, but will let the hotel know of intentions for Cano Negro, rafting and Eco-Thermales/dinner. We will be coming from Puerto Viejo (visit Sloth rescue) and will go to Manzanillo for birding there as well, but I have a feeling everything will be different an equally enjoyable and Cano Negro will be the only one we do by boat. Will also go to Wildlife Refuge in Osa.

Where are you staying in Arenal and Osa?

Be sure to post back your report!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM

We're staying at Tabacon - I hope it lives up to the positive reviews and not the so so ones! But I think the passes to the hot springs will make it worth while! And we're staying at BDC in Osa. I'd like to do the Wildlife Refuge in Osa as well. At the rate I'm going, it sounds for sure like a second trip is going to happen

When are you going?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Good luck at Tabacon! I hope it turns out really great for you and I'm sure it will! We aren't leaving until May 19th, but time is moving fast! It's just myself and my 10 year old daughter so it should be quite an adventure

For the wildlife refuge in Osa, if you don't want to head to BDC and back to PJ again for the tour (spending more time and money), ask BDC if they can arrange for you to go upon arrival from SJO. That's what we're planning on doing, but they can't confirm for us until a little closer to arrival.