Need Info on Guatemala

Old Mar 24th, 1997, 06:44 PM
Charlene Curtis

Need Info on Guatemala

We would like any information an traveling in Guatemala, especiallly around Lake Atitlan, Tikal, and Chichicastenango. What type of transportation is available? What should we be sure we don't miss? What's the weather like? Any cautions?

Old Mar 25th, 1997, 05:59 PM
R. Baglia

If arriving in Guatemala City, all of the major US car rentals are available at the airport. Travel by bus is not recommended. Lake Atitlan and Chichi are easily reached from the city. I would not drive after dark. Lots of small, quaint Indian villages around Lake Atitlan. Make sure to see the marketplace in Chichi. It's usually on Saturday mornings; drive up on Friday pm and stay at one of the local hotels. The market is fascinating. I've not been to Tikal but friends have. There is an easy flight from Guatemala City. You can camp or stay at several hotels in the area. Weather this time of year is mild, no rain, except for Tikal which is jungle.

Old Mar 27th, 1997, 04:16 AM
Larry Weber

Old Mar 27th, 1997, 04:31 AM
Larry Weber

I have not been down for 2 years and thngs may have changed for the better since the "end" of the civil war. Tikal:fly into Flores from Guate. I stayed at the Jungle Lodge and was pleased. They will meet you at the airport. Antigua:A beautiful colonial town about 45 minutes from Guate. Very comfortable, clean, great food, good hotels etc. Tourist oriented but not overly cute. Chichi was a little difficult to get to when I was there. Many people signed up for "tour busses" [mini vans] but these were something of a magnet for robberies. If you feel froggy, do what I did: Take the chicken busses . I went from Antigua, leaving early on Sunday morn and returning that evening by dark The early rec not to travel at night is a good one. I am not as negative on the busses as earlier note. They can be great for day trips. Point to point with luggage is a problem because it must go on top. Do it at least once!!! I would lnot get worried if, before leaving you don't have everything nailed down. When you arrive, go to a couple of local travel agents, tell them what you want to do and see what they have to say.

Old Mar 31st, 1997, 01:02 PM
Ingrid Ortega

Being from Guatemala, I can say nothing but great things...Antigua is a must see, alot of history. Make sure you see the old monastery (can't remember the name-sorry). Lake Atitlan is beautiful. Stay in Panahachel and take a boat tour of the twelve small towns along the coast. Chichi is wonderful. The market is a must-see. Thursday and Sunday AM's. Stay at the Hotel Santo Tomas. To get to these locales, take the "chicken buses," it's quite an experience. YOu should also not miss Tikal. There is a day trip. Don't travel at night and keep your belongings close, but don't be overly paranoid, just be smart.