Notices

Need hotel Help in Monteverde and Arenal

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need hotel Help in Monteverde and Arenal

Hello fellow travelers -
I'll be going to Costa Rica at the end of April and have part of my trip covered and paid for by work, I then want to explore Monteverde and Arenal and am struggling with finding a good hotel. Arenal - anyone stayed at the Mountain Paradise Hotel? I'm looking for someplace with nice grounds and good views of the volcano. In Monteverde I'm currently booked at the Monteverde Lodge. Seems like a good place, any thoughts or other recommendations? Anything you write would be great because my head is starting to spin from all these options! Thanks!!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:50 AM

We think Arenal Paraiso is outstanding for the location, value of the room, view of the volcano (not sure about lava flow as we didn't see any week before last--it may have gone to the other side), grounds, trails, ziplines, thermal pools, etc. Food not so great, but breakfast is okay and included. We like to eat out and about while there. El Novillo, Don Rufino's, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM

We stayed at the Arenal Lodge in December and liked it there. It's a bit farther out from town than some of the others (very near to the Hanging Bridges). The hotel has pretty grounds, a hiking trail and butterfly house, and gorgeous views of the volcano (when its not totally socked in by clouds ;-) ). As with shillmac's reference to Arenal Paraiso, we were sort of underwhelmed by the restaurant except for the included breakfast buffet which was very good.

Right by Arenal Lodge is the Lost Iguana which gets tons of positive reviews on this forum. Do a search on it (and on the others listed here); you'll get lots of info.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Has anyone stayed at El Sapo Dorado in MV? Curious if anyone has any positive/negative comments on this place.... thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM

We liked it--and the restaurant was very good. It isn't plush or anything close to it, but the little bungalows are certainly okay. Bathrooms a little small as I remember. We were comfortable, though, 3 adults ande one infant in a room. It is one of the older hotels, but has a good reputation.