Need help with transportation to Chichen Itza

Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Need help with transportation to Chichen Itza

Message: We will be staying in Playa del Carmen and want to visit Chichen Itza. The thought of driving in Mexico makes me a little nervous, and it's not exactly cheap to rent a car, and I really don't want to take one of the big tours. I've heard you can get a taxi to take you. Anyone done that and how much does it cost?
Thanks for your help!

Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM

Do not be nervous about driving in Mexico. The roads are good to great, the drivers are not that bad (just be aware) and get use to speed bumps.

I stayed at the Royal Hideaway last year and rented a car. We took the the old road (Rt 180) out to Chichen Itza and the toll road (Rt 180) back. The toll road is expensive (and yes it is the same number as the non toll road) but is quick and easy. The non toll road is a great way to see Mexico

I found renting a car much less expensive then a taxi and am under the opinion that it is the taxi drivers that gives Mexican drivers a bad name
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:23 PM

I think a taxi to Chichen Itza would be very expensive. It is a good 2 hours drive from PDC. Either rent a car or do one of the smaller tours. You can also easily visit Tulum which is much closer
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! I'll keep researching car rentals vs. small tours. Anyone have a suggestions for small tours?
Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Sunnyboy

We did a tour from PDC to Chichen Itza through American Express. It was a small van, maybe 8 or 10 passengers. Much better than than the large busses.

Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:45 AM

I agree with Foleys post. By all means , rent a car. I have driven for many years in Mexico and never had a problem. It gives you great flexibility.
I dont like any of the other options--I dont like being herded around with a large group and I really dont like being jammed elbow to elbow in a small van!
Hope you will go with the car--you wont regret it.
Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:59 AM

We have visited Mexico many times and have rented a car with no problems in the Yucatan. The rest of the country, we usually take buses. The Yucatan is fairly flat and the roads seem ok. The other alternative is to make it a 2 day trip - take a public bus, then stay close to Chichen Itza. We actually did that when we went to Chichen Itza and it was fine.
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:52 PM

We went with AGI tours last year from tulum to Chichen Itza, They are from Cancun and will pick you up at your hotel.
We had a GMC Suburban for 12 hrs just three of us and the driver, water and drinks included, he was a great guide he took the back roads through some great towns and stopped at local places to eat and shop. Cost $230. US.
We have the same company picking us up again when we go in April this time we are in Akumal and are going 3 hrs. north of Cancun to an island then spending some time visiting local towns later in the day to enjoy the local food.
Oh yea the one great thing is nothing to worry about just watch the sceanry go by.
[email protected] Javier Gonzalez