Search

Need help w/Cabo hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/Cabo hotels

I am looking at hotels that would be more of a romantic getaway vs party central. Nothing too grand or resort-y, but nothing that is too dead. Any suggestions? I am looking at:

Hotel Finisterra
Pueblo Bonito - Sunset
Fiesta Americana

My friends have been to ME Cabo and love it but I wonder if it's too party central? We are 30 years old so it's not like we are old but we don't want beer spilled over us on our anniversary getaaway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any of the Pueblo Bonito Resorts would be nice. Others enjoy Playa Grande also.

The Bungalows is more of a boutique hotel, in town, but away from the hub-bub.

MY
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was leaning towards Pueblo Bonito Sunset, it is still on the beach and near the ARches, right?
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM

PB Sunset Beach is along the Pacific side of Los Cabos, not near the Arch. The beach is not swimmable and the water very rough, if that matters to you (it hasn't been a problem for us). The all adult PB Pacifica is right up the beach from Sunset.

If you want a swimmable beach, try PB Blanco or Rose. Both are still very nice, but on the main, swimming beach and closer to the action.

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM

I think all the hotels are 'party central' during spring break and in late May or early June, when there seem to be many new grads celebrating. For a real 'romantic getaway' that is quiet look at a villa in the Pedregal district. Something overlooking the Pacific (instead of the harbor) if you can find the bucks.

I've walked thru a couple of the Pueblo Bonitos on Playa Medano (not the Sunset) and they are nice hotels so I assume the Sunset is a good choice.

I've stayed at Finisterra many times and if you get a room up high and it's not too crowded it would be a nice choice. This is the one that's near the Arch. Make sure you're in one of the two newer wings overlooking the Pacific, not the original hotel overlooking the harbor. You can walk to town easily from Finisterra and the views are incredible. We stayed there mainly because it was close to the dock where we boarded our fishing boat.

Dunno about Fiesta Americana. Usually it's a good chain but I haven't seen the one in Cabo.

Our favorite hotel down there is the Westin, in the corridor maybe 15 miles from downtown Cabo. More class than Finisterra or PB, quieter, incredible architecture, probably more expensive.

Bill
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I think we want to be on a beach that is swimmable so it looks like anything near the Medano beach. So you think any of the PB hotels are good? Thanks so much.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill-
I have a Starwood membership so I am familiar with Westins; I didn't look into the Westin or Sheraton in Cabo bc I wanted to avoid staying at a chain in mexico so I could get a more authentic experience, but maybe it doesn't matter.

Sounds like I should probably stay on Medano beach area, at one of the PB hotels, or in the newer wings at Finnistera.

I think the Riu hotel was all inclusive, what do you make of that?

Also, I couldn't get the weather report for end of this month, but we are planning on going after xmas, and getting back before NYE. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
J
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM

I just had a friend get back from the RIU and they loved it. We have never done AI and don't think it is worth it for us. Plus, there are lots of choices for meals in CSL and San Jose del Cabo.

I am sure if you choose any of the PB, you will be pleased. More family oriented than party oriented.

Good luck,

MY