need help planning Rio itinerary

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help planning Rio itinerary

Travelling to Rio Oct. 12-18. Booked the Copacabana Palace but am willing to switch to Ipanema beach. Please help with itinerary for this visit. Saw that gypsyluce has recommended a sidetrip to Buzios. I would appreciate some names of drivers or best way for travel there and sites to see in Buzios. What about petropolis? I don't want to be with a large group tour but would welcome being with 4-5 others in addition to our 3-thoughts on who to contact or a guide just for our 3? Thanks for any help that you can offer.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM

hiya, have replied to your other thread but in this you mention meeting other people, for small groups a possibilty is the jeep tours on offer in rio, they go to the statue of christ and through the forest, do a favela tour and others. The bus tours are all big, with about 30 or more. Raquel can take you to Petropolis for the day also. I wouldnt recommend catching the bus up there as it doesnt drop you off near the historical centre.
re the hotels, Copacabana Palace is nicer, more charming and more style, Cesar Park is more modern, functional, business like. Check but in 90% of cases neither offer breakfast included. The pool at copa palace is lovely, but At C Park tiny. It is not recommendable to swim in the sea off copacabana or ipanema due to very strong undercurrents. Ipanema is nicer, restaurants etc, but C. Palace is nicer, espec if you get rooms with sea view.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM

have a look at Brasil trip report.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gypsyluce. I looked at the trip report after I placed my posts. Sorry about some of my redundant questions. I also saw that you are a tour guide. Who is Raquel to take us to Petropolis?
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM

hiya, I replied to your thread travelling to Rio and sao paulo in detail and this reply was shorter. I mentioned Raquel there. It's true I am a tour guide but according to fodors rules do not advertise myself here, only help people out with suggestions etc. I will be taking a group around south america for the month of october.
There are bus tours also that do Petropolis but are biggish buses, 20 people or more.
After having a look at the other thread please let me know if I can help you more. Have a great day.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Gypsyluce, I am interested in some recommendations from you and any other folks. Could you recommend a guide for Rio and what sepcifically we need a guide for? You previously suggested one to see the Christ statue, but it didn't seem like you needed one for Sugar Loaf or I could be wrong. I understand that the "hippie fair on Sundays" (didn't think we needed a guide for this)and the favela tour are
good to do. Do you think we should take a city bus tour just to get a feel for Rio? Are weekends the time to go to the beach? I am happy to have you give me some recommendations for full day or half day plans. We arrive in the AM of Friday, Oct. 12. Thanks for any help that you can offer.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM

There is a new hotel in Ipanema The Fasano hotel http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/002667.cfm

You do not need a tour guide to Corcavado/Christ the redemmer statue, just take a taxi to the cog wheel train that will take you up the mountain, its a great ride and spend as much time us there as you want. Same for Sugar Loaf, take a taxi to the mountain and buy your own ticket on the cable car, its very close to Copacabana. Take a taxi to the hippie fair or even walk on a sunday afternoon, from the Palace it might take half an hour or take a taxi to the ferria de hippie.

the favella tour you must go with someone, never go on your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhR_...elated&search=
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM

hiya, hope alls well, re your trip to Rio. Right , what you need a guide for are the favelas, I recommend Favela Tour, run by Marcelo Armstrong, named in many guide books, the best one there is. It's also a good idea to get a guide to do the historical centre of Rio and the sambodrome ( carnaval area ) and maracana . When I take people on a full day tour we do the corcovado first so people can get an idea of the layout and the feel for the city, then we do maracana, sambodromo and centre. You can go up the corcovado yourselves, just make sure the taxi driver doesnt take you all the way up to the top, he'll charge a fortune. The main difference in doing it that way is that you dont get an explanation of what and wehere you're seeing on way there or up at top. I think it's important to get a guide so he/she can give recommendations of where to go, what to see, where to go, where not, things to do etc. The samba show at the samba city every 2 thursdays is excellent, not cheap but worthwhile.
Please let me know if you want Raquels details, she is an excellent guide.
Please also let me know if I can help more. Best wishes, Yes, you won't need a guide for the sunday market in ipanema.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Gypsyluce,
We are spending a couple of days in Rio in early December.Can you help me wih a guide? Appreciate your help.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM

hiya,I can recommend 2 guides, Raquel and Ernani, I'm travelling again at the beginning of December till the 12th. Either of these 2 guides are excellent, speak fluent english and can help plan the tours according to your needs and interests. They can also arrange transport for tours, transfers etc.
I will send you their emails so you can contact them direct.
Have a lovely time here, bring clothes for sun and rain, it's very mixed here at the moment. Where are you staying ? Any more help needed please ask.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM

hi, here is Raquel's email address, actually it is her husbands but as he is on most of the day and she's out and about it's better. She has some days free still at beginning of December and is very happy to help you in any way she can.
Have a wonderful time here and if I can be of any more help please let me know. If you want any more details about me, recommendations, just please ask.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM

sorry, here it is!!
osvaldo cerkes: [email protected],
her name is Raquel Cerques.
Many thanks