Need help picking a destination for a small group beach trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister has asked me to plan her 30th birthday on a beach somewhere. We will be traveling early November (her birthday is the 7th) and there will probably be between 4-8 people. Our top priorities are: nice beaches, fun/safe town with bars/restaurants, cost...and activities would be nice.
I've traveled to Playa del Carmen 3 times already and absolutely love it. The things I love about it are the atmosphere, fun downtown area I feel safe walking around, lovely beaches, and plenty to do (ruins at Tulum, cenotes, etc.). However, a few of the people that are going on this trip went on my last trip to Playa with me...they loved it as well and we'd all be happy ending up there again, but we're also really interested in finding a different locale to check out. We've always been able to go for a week, all-inclusive for around $900 p/p (including flights from Chicago). I'd like to keep in the same price range, however we are open to going non-AI. (the last two times I've stayed at the Iberostar in Playacar).
I've heard mixed reviews about beaches at Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. And does Costa Rica or Belize have any downtown action? Are they safe? Would also be interested in Caribbean islands...just not sure how they rack up as far as pricing compared to Mexico. I love to explore and don't believe you can experience a place if you sit on a beach chair at your resort the entire time
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Look at Ambergris Caye in Belize and stay close to San Pedro town. We do not have AI's, but plenty of hotels, inns and condo hotels to consider and many great restaurants and bars on the island. You can also book day trips to the mainland to see Mayan sites, rainforest, river cave tubing and zip lines, wildlife and more. Belize is English speaking and easy to move around in. People are friendly and the country interesting.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I think Katie's suggestion is a great one. You might also check out Manuel Antonio in CR.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I've always been interested in both Belize and Costa Rica...just wasn't sure if they had much to do in town as far as bars/restaurants. I'll definitely look into that
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM

I agree with Ambergris Caye as a possibility worth checking out. Not much of a happening night life but it can be a great place to just kick back and unwind without having to think of anything. It might not be to your expectations if you want a traditional hotel with lots of rooms, huge grounds, and non stop festivities. But, we stayed there and spend the beginning of our days snorkeling and exploring, the afternoon relaxing on the beach and the evening at dinner and hanging out at close by restaurants and lounges. Take a peek but my hunch is that it might not be what you want. That said, it was fantastic and if you want to try it I bet you'd enjoy it. (We stayed at Matachica)
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Roatán springs to mind. My photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

yeah, we do like to take it easy some of the nights, but other nights we will definitely want to party Quite a few nights in Playa involving drinks and dancing on the beach
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and how are the beaches in Puerto Vallarta? My sister has never been out of the country and has never seen clear seas and I'd really like to go somewhere that offers that if possible!
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Nope, nowhere on the Pacific coast of Mexico has "clear seas" if you are expecting white sand beaches and calm turquoise waters. For that you'll want to stick to the Caribbean side (or wherever).

Why I mentioned PV, is because I think it is the most similar in vibe of PdC are far as bar & restaurant scene, general atmosphere.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

That might be worth it though...I think that atmosphere would win over a pristine beach with nothing else to do! I'll definitely look into that
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM

It's going to be hard to compete with Mexico price wise. Airfare alone to Belize will be a good portion of your budget unless you happen to luck into a rare fare sale. There just isn't the frequency of service or competition. Costa Rica might be more doable.

In the Caribbean proper, I think the Dominican Republic would be the least expensive and has lots of AIs. I haven't been there.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM

If partying, drinking & dancing on the beach and around a town is a priority for your group, perhaps an All-Inclusive, I just don't see the point in going all the way to Belize or Costa Rica. I think of those for an entirely different kind of trip.

I'm sure you can find photos of the beaches in PV (google for "Playa Los Muertos"). They are beautiful in my estimation, just more rough and... well... Pacific coast-like. The nightlife and everything else about the town rocks, in a way I doubt you'll find many other destinations that are being suggested.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM

I'd stick with the Playa area in Mexico based on what you're saying. You've been there and you know what to expect - you're looking for a beach, fun, party type birthday vacation. You can definitely get that in Mexico. And the price will be right.

As Patty mentioned, airfare is expensive to Belize and Ambergris is great, but the beaches are nothing like Mexico and the environment is very different. It's much more laid back in Belize. We loved it there and I'd definitely go back, but I don't see it really fitting the type of trip you mention.

And it just seems like a lot of effort to get to Costa Rica for a beach vacation.

You could try Jamaica as well - lots of AI's that would work for you and they are often good prices.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM

We love Costa Rica, but it's more restaurants with great sunset views than party, party, party.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Roatan, Roatan, Roatan...ah did I mention Roatan.
Everything you are looking for can be found on the Island of Roatan. West Bay Beach, named one of the top ten beaches in the world. West End, lots of fun beach bars, restaurants, etc. Very safe and you can find accommodations for every budget.

Fantastic place to visit. Warning though, the Roatan Vortex pulls you in and you never want to leave.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I also thought of Jamaica.

Cabo San Lucas is very nice too (there's one nice swimmable beach called Medano, the rest of the ocean is too rough and dangerous to be in it, but it's very beautiful) Loads of great clubs & restaurants.

I've been to all of these, but I still say either stick w/ PdC or try Vallarta is the closest to what your posts are describing.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM

If Jamaica, look at the Negril area.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Just returned from Zihuatanejo. You might consider that for a combination of atmosphere, beach bars, cool hotels or even a condo with a housekeeper- lots of options!
Our only issue was smoke from burning fields and that doesn't happen in the fall.
Water is warmer than PV.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM

How about Isla Mujeres? Playa has gotten too large and busy for my taste, but Isla still retains a bit of small town Mexico. Lovely small hotels, really good cheap food, and plenty of bars on Hidalgo at night for dancing and entertainment.

The beach is beautiful. I'd stay at one of the condo complexes, probably Nautibeach. There's even an all inclusive right there, but, it would be a shame to miss out on all the great local food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -