Reload this Page >

Move to Santiago or Buenos Aires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Brett Lauren Ives

Hello all, <BR>I am a female college student who will be graduating in May. I lived in Ecuador for 6 months last year, and am now looking to move to Santiago. I would look for a job teaching English, and maybe a part-time internship. <BR> <BR>However, I am torn! I have a friend who is from Argentina, right outside Buenos Aires, and she thinks I would love to live there. She would introduce me to numerous friends as well. I'm still hesitant to go there because B.A. sounds a little, well, huge. I'm looking for something different from Ecuador, but I still want a friendly atmosphere where I can meet people. Does Santiago or B.A. provide that more? <BR> <BR>Also, in which city would I be more likely to dance salsa/merengue at night? <BR> <BR>Any advice would be very appreciated. <BR>Hasta luego, <BR>Brett

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Greg

Si te gusta esquiar, Santiago, porque <BR>los lugares están cerca. Gp

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Patricio Rojas J.

If you seek a friendly atmospherea and exciting nightlife, in my opinion BsAs is better than Santiago. However BsAs is more crowded than Santiago. What do you prefer? If you need more information, contact me.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 07:23 PM
Al

No me gusta los dos. Hay demasiado ladrones en las calles. Pero, si usted prefiere, BA es la ciudad mejor. Para nosotros, Santiago es peligrosa.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Brian

Brett, <BR> <BR>Go for Buenos Aires. I studied in Entre Rios, Argentina for 6 months and have spent time in Chile, including Santiago, so I can tell you, Chile is boring. It is all ok, average, but nothing special. Argentina is exciting, alive, and not something you will soon forget. Buenos Aires is large, but not too bad and is safe. The people are very nice, friendly and like Americans, especially if you learn to say "che and calle" the right way. Chile has nice places in the south, but overall you'll feel like your in a semi-poor version of North Dakota. Go for Argentina! It's not perfect, but offers much more, and like the names says, the air is clean, which is not something Santiago can brag about. <BR> <BR>Either way, have a great time. I love South America and am sure either place will be a wonderful experience. <BR> <BR>Brian

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Peter

Hi Brett, <BR>Most of the replies so far have merit. Bs As is more exciting in a "bright lights" sense. It is more vibrant and arguably more chic, but make no mistake, Santiago is no slouch. <BR> <BR>Regarding climate, in summer Santiago is perfect, while BA is the pits. The temperature is high but so is the humidity. Walk quickly for 5 blocks and you are soaked. But the worst is that the smoke-puking buses and trucks make breathing a trial. In winter the roles are reversed by Santiago's smog. I tend to forgive the latter more since they realy do try to cut down on emissions versus BA's raw oxygen-sucking polution - check the bus emisions from a typical bus in each city to see what I mean. <BR> <BR>Secondly, Bs As is shabby and poorly maintained. If you don't believe me take the cheap train to Tigre to see the filth and smell the sewage -and this is meant to be the best close-by attraction that the Capital Federal has! From Santiago within one hour you are in the mountains and skiing in winter, or in summer in half an hour more you are at the beach. <BR> <BR>Bs As far outshines Santiago i.t.o. art, music and threatre. On the other hand, if you want to see something more than a landscape flatter than Holland, be prepared for an 8 hour drive. <BR> <BR>If you are a carnivore, there is no choice - Bs As is the meat capital of the quality world. If you prefer fish and seafood, then cross the Andes. <BR> <BR>In summary, if you are a bright-lights person who finds dirt cute, then Bs As is for you. If you want greater diversity beyond and less arrogance, go west.