Reload this Page >

Mosquito Nets Needed in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Joni

I will be going to Costa Rica shortly, staying at Xandari and Villa Caletas, both of which are nice hotels. Do I need to bring a mosquito net with me or is it safe to assume there are screens on the windows and the risk will be low of getting bitten by mosquitos while asleep? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help, <BR>Joni <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:32 AM
lisa

We had no mosquito problems whatsoever at Villa Caletas. There were no screens on the windows, but I don't remember seeing any mosquitos. We left our windows wide open most of the time that we were in the room so we could appreciate the sounds of the birds and take pictures of wildlife (coati, toucans, etc.). At night we closed the windows though and slept with the air conditioning on if I recall correctly. There was no mosquito netting over the bed but we never needed it. There is a mini-frig in the room into which you should put ALL food and drinks, so as not to attract ants -- I would not leave any food or drink out at all if I were you.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Iza

Hi Joni, <BR>Glad to hear you decided on Xandari and Villa Caletas (if you remember we exchanged some e-mails about Xandari last year). Can't say anything about Villa Caletas but at Xandari you definitely will not need a mosquito net. When we were there in August it got really cool at night, and we kept the patio doors closed (the patio doors have no screens). They have transom windows with glass louvers and screens on both sides of the villa over the patio doors and these provided plenty of ventilation and could be left open or closed as needed. I actually had to get up in the middle of the night to close them because it was too cold! <BR>No problems with mosquitos whatsoever. Follow Lisa's advice on food and drinks; if left outside they attract ants to the rooms. <BR>Hope you have a great time. Post a report when you get back. We are actually thinking about going back again this year and Villa Caletas is definitely on our list. <BR>Izabela