immunizations for the Yucatan

Feb 5th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Cheryl

immunizations for the Yucatan

Message: What immunizations do we need to travel to the Yucatan in mid-February? Hepatitis A is a must, I know, but do we also need to take anti-malaria medicine? We will be travelling from Cancun to Merida, the Mayan ruins, Isla Mujeras, Cozumel, etc., and will be visiting some rural towns, I'm sure.

Feb 5th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Susan

I don't think I've had any special immunizations for Mexico. I've never worried about anti-malaria medicine.

Have a great trip, Cheryl!

Feb 5th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Tina

Cheryl:

As for all the places that you've mentioned, you don't need to worry about taking anti-malaria meds. I was last in Cancun 20 years ago, and even then that was not something that anyone mentioned.

As for Hepatitis A, (that's the food borne one?), it couldn't hurt to have that protection. If you're leaving in mid-Feb, you'd better hustle to your doctor.

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:01 AM
leslie

I was in the Yucatan in December 2000 and visited the places you are going (including birdwatching in Celestun). I was vaccinated for Hepatitis A, Tetanus, Thyphoid and Diptheria. I didn't think prevention for malaria was necessary.

Feb 6th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Joni

I went to the Yucatan a few years ago and did not need any immunizations. Hepatitis A is a good idea, though. And the usual safety precautions are good to follow such as not drinking water from the tap, no ice, no street vendors, etc. We actually found that in Cancun everything was so americanized that we really could eat or drink anything and not have any problem at all. Still, I played it safe. My husband wasn't careful at all and he didn't get sick either.

Have fun! It is a beautiful area.

Joni