More general Mexico City questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Mexico City Feb. 3-10 (leaving very early on the 10th).

I'll be traveling solo, and I'm a woman in my early 40s. I'm staying at Hotel Catedral.

I apologize if any of these sound too naive, but I have never been to Mexico before. The closest I've been is San Diego.

* For a February visit, for a fair-skinned person, is sunscreen a requirement?

* It seems like the temperature will be in the 70s during the day, and the 40s at night. In my experience, some places feel "colder" or "hotter" than others, even when at the same temperature. What sort of outerwear would you wear in Mexico City in early February? How about for the trip to Teotihuacan?

* I am scheduled to arrive at Mexico City Airport at 5:30 PM. In theory, if all goes well, I should be able to go to the Ballet Folklorica at 8:30, but of course I don't want to buy tickets in advance. Someone posted that there are always available tickets. Would this be true for the evening of Feb. 3?

* If I do go to Ballet Folklorica on Sunday evening, how exactly do I get back? I know I have read to take a sitio taxi, but how exactly does one go about this upon leaving the Ballet Folklorica. Would it be simply too ridiculous to walk back to the hotel or take the metro?

* It seems I don't do too badly if I hear someone talking about something like Spanish literature, but my ability to understand/speak Spanish in an everyday setting is far short of what I hoped for (my own fault, I'd say, for not spending enough time on this in the past few months). I know I can expect far less English ability from the populace than I would in western Europe. I can eventually get my sentences out, but it might take a bit of time and reference to my dictionary. Please provide some reassurance or something.

* I have a 7 AM flight on Feb. 10. Should I ask the staff at Hotel Catedral the night before to book me at taxi for 4:00 (or may be 4:30)? Can I count on the arrival of a safe taxi? Or should I switch to an airport hotel the night before?

* I have read that Mexicans are rather conservative when it comes to apparel worn in churches. I know not to show shoulders, thighs, or cleavage, but would women be expected to wear dresses when visiting the cathedral or other churches?

* At the airport, I understand I should pay for a taxi ticket, and then get a taxi, Do I give this ticket to the driver at the beginning or end of the journey? Do I then give him a tip at the end?

Any other advice would be welcome, of course. Thanks for all the other Mexico City posts I have read here.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM

It is a few years since my husband and I stay at the Cathedral Hotel but this is what we found.
We had not even heard Spanish spoken before we arrived in Me. We managed fine everywhere but the Catheral Hotel was especially helpful. They have an English version of their menu...just ask.
As a single female I would not walk anywhere around the hotel at night. It is a very convenient position but is a bit sleazy after dark.Taxis are cheap...why risk your safety.
I can't comment on the sunscreen,as Aussies we wear it everywhere and a hat.
I wore below the knee shorts with a collared blouse everyday.
The hotel arranged a van to take us to our very early flight without any problems. I don't think it was actually a taxi but maybe the cousin of the guy at the desk. That probably doesn't happen anymore and they arranged many taxis that were good and safe for us during our stay. I hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Sunscreen, maybe, certainly for Teotituacon.

I wouldn't try for the Sunday evening performance. They used to have Wednesday and also Sunday morning. There are special warnings about taxis in the area where the Ballet Folklorico is.

You can get along with minimal Spanish and a good guidebook.

Expect the hotel to arrange airport transportation with no difficulty.

Mexico City is a CITY. You will want to wear capris or skirts, not the type of clothes you would wear in a resort area.

Tipping taxi drivers is not the norm. We always give extra, especially if they help with baggage, but not 20% as we would in the US. They take the ticket at the start of the trip--there are different companies involved, but it is easy.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM
emd

I was at the Hotel Catedral in Nov., and at the Sheraton centro Historico on Ave. Juarez in July by myself. I walked around the Hotel Catedral at night alone without any problem. I wore no jewelry at all except a timex watch and simple costume earrings. I dress normally, not elaborately, I do not wear a camera on my neck, do not call attn. to myself, and I use a "PacSafe" purse that can't be cut off or slashed (you can google that if you are interested, they make tummy pacs also). This makes me feel more secure, but honestly I was never bothered at all.

Be aware that a lot of shops close up in the hotel area at about 6:30 pm. I walked on Tacuba, which is more populated at night (there are 2 metro exits on Tacuba). I also walked from the zocalo metro stop to the hotel, crossing in front of the cathedral, then turning right one block at far side of the catedral to get to the hotel at 10 pm. No one bothered me.

If you go to the Ballet Folklorico on Sunday night, there are MANY police stationed right outside on Avenida Juarez when you exit the Palacio Belle Artes at night. You can walk across the street and down one block on Juarez (to the right if you are exiting the Palacio) and get a taxi at the Sheraton that will take you back to Hotel Catedral. That walk to the Sheraton was not a problem for me at all. There were a lot of police (20-30) lined up on Juarez for half the walk.

Don't worry about English, it is pretty easy to communicate in the DF w/hand signals, having them write amts./prices down on paper, etc. Try to know your directions, right, left, the word "blocks", etc. in Spanish in case you need directions. Have a good map of the area (I like the maps in front of the Moon's Mexico City the best). Hotel Catedral is perfect for you, they have front desk staff who speak English and are very tolerant of whatever Spanish you can come up with. Very friendly place.

I would ask the hotel to get you a cab at 4:30 am to airport. I found them reliable for taxi-calling, and had very professional drivers (one at night) through the hotel booking. The airport is pretty close, it took us about 25 min. at 10 am on a Monday, and there was some traffic. You should have no traffic.

You will see some women in jeans in churches, even the cathedral. I never wear jeans, I wear travel knit pants (the slinky kind) so I never really thing about it. Pants are fine. The weight of those slinky travel knits (like Chicos) was perfect for me for pants, but I only wore my cotton shirts because it felt warm during the day and I needed something to wick away the sweat, and the knit tops were too warm.

In Nov. it was in the 70s during the day. I wore a light weight long sleeve shirt (cotton) to keep the sun off of me. At night, it was in the 40s and a lightweight fleece zip jacket was all I needed, and I only used it one night. The weather is about the same in Feb., there is little variation btwn the 2 months.

YES, bring sunscreen and a hat/visor for the pyramids. You are out in the open, walking for long stretches in the sun.

There is a 11-5 pm tour from the hotel that goes to the pyrmaids in a van for $25. It stops at a rock shop that sells jewelry and gem pre-columbian reproductions items- I was able to buy water and snacks there, then goes to the pyramids for a few hrs, then stops for lunch close to the pyramids. I had hurt my foot falling in the airport on some stairs and didn't want to hassle w/having to get to terminal norte to take the bus, so I went on that tour (p.s. it turned out when I got home I found out I had broken two bones in my foot- and walked for 4 days all over the DF like that). It was good for me, but some poeple online complain about having to stop at the rock place and having to go to the restaurant afterwards. I thought it was very convenient that it picks you up and drops you off right at the hotel.

There is a 7-11 store at the end of the block close to the hotel. Very convenient for a drink or coffee. Pharmacia is two blocks down from the 7-11. The hotel is in the "photography shop area" so if you need film, it is right there. One block down on Tacuba (or it might be Jauarez, I am doing this from memory) is the gold jewelry part of town. Store after store, and some of them sell old Oaxacan gold filigree that has been pawned to them. I got a great pair of Oxacan earrings at one of those stores.

Also on Tacuba is the wonderful panaderia (bread) y pasterleria (sweets) Vascona Palma at corner of Tacuba and Palma. There is a loncheria connected to it also, for good, quick, cheap lunch or dinner (good roasted chicken). Cafe Popular, which I highly recommend for dinner (not fancy but good and good value)is on 5 Cinco de Mayo btwn. Palma and Republica de Chile, about a block from La Vasconia. There is a liquor store on a corner on the opposit side of Tacuba from La Vasconia as you walk back to the hotel, in case you want to pick up a bottle of vino or something for your room.

I don't know what kind of rm. you have asked for at the hotel. They have "view rooms" with views of the cathedral or the street the hotel is on. I avoided both of those, as I am a light sleeper and on the cathedral side there is a disco that people online complained about hearing, and I didn't want street noise. I got an interior courtyard room, very quiet, very clean. And the cathedral and zocalo are right there around the corner so I didn't feel like I missed seeing those!

Have fun!

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

What guidebooks do you recommend? First I started with Rough Guides, and that was all right, but then I got Fodors 2007 Mexico out of the library and that seems much better. Any others to recommend?

As for the Ballet Folklorico, I can't find dates for March yet, but for the January dates, it looks like some, but not all, Sundays have 8:30 PM performances. Thanks for the Sheraton taxi tip.

I had read some not so great reviews of the hotel's tour company. I was thinking of taking some tours with this company, which runs out of the youth hostel a block away:
www.mundojovenadventures.com/
Any input welcome.

I will take a hat for Teotihuacan.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
emd

Moon's guide to Mexico City is very good.

Streetwise map of Mexico City is very good, laminated, folds up like a brochure, just detailed enough but not overdetailed.