Search

Monteverde Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monteverde Help

Hello everyone,
I posted last year and then obviously our trip was postponed. We are now going to Costa Rica in August with another family. There are 9 of us traveling together: 4 adults, 4 teens, 1 10 year old. So far our itinerary is 3 nights in Arenal, 2 nights in Monteverde, 4 nights in Manuel Antonio. My question is...would our time be better spent with an extra day in Arenal and only a quick one-day visit to Monteverde to basically zipline and do a night nature walk? Or should we keep the 2 days? I am having a hard time finding the draw to the cloud forest so looking for suggestions on what to do there. We like a mixture of exploring/adventure and downtime. I could be very happy in Arenal by the pool for a day!

Also, any thoughts on Arenal Springs Resort? Accommodations you liked even better? What about Hotel Koora in Monteverde?

Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rfrank1031
Hello everyone,
I posted last year and then obviously our trip was postponed. We are now going to Costa Rica in August with another family. There are 9 of us traveling together: 4 adults, 4 teens, 1 10 year old. So far our itinerary is 3 nights in Arenal, 2 nights in Monteverde, 4 nights in Manuel Antonio. My question is...would our time be better spent with an extra day in Arenal and only a quick one-day visit to Monteverde to basically zipline and do a night nature walk? Or should we keep the 2 days? I am having a hard time finding the draw to the cloud forest so looking for suggestions on what to do there. We like a mixture of exploring/adventure and downtime. I could be very happy in Arenal by the pool for a day!

Also, any thoughts on Arenal Springs Resort? Accommodations you liked even better? What about Hotel Koora in Monteverde?

Thanks!
I'm not sure there is much you can see in Monteverde that wouldn't also be availble in Arenal (including the Arenal Observatory Lodge, as opposed to Fortuna), and Manuel Antonio extending south toward Domincal/ito. There certainly are zip lines and night walks that can be done around MA. For hanging bridges you don't have to go all the way to Monteverde.

When I stayed around Arenal I split my time between AOL and La Fortuna. I'd recommend at least part of your time overnight at AOL since the road is bad and they offer a free morning wildlife walk, plus the feeding deck near breakfast.
They have a few villas that can accommodate a large group, but you'd need a car since they are on the outskirts of the property. I was lucky to stay at White Hawk Villa on my visit. If it's clear there is a deadon view of the volcano (no lava).

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 4th, 2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 02:46 AM

I wouldn't go to Monteverde for just a day. It's kind of a pain to get there so you probably wouldn't want to just go and come right back. I'd go for two nights or just skip it entirely. We went primarily to see the cloud forest and quetzals and do a night hike. Also ziplined, but you can do that at Sky Trek in the Arenal area. Monteverde was cold and rainy for us. We wore sweatshirts and fleece jackets at night, and our hotel had their fireplace going.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 03:05 AM

In the Arenal area, we've stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, the Lost Iguana, The Springs Resort and Spa, and Nayara. We enjoyed all of them - some are pricey. We got a Groupon deal for The Springs Resort and Spa. Regarding pool time in the Arenal area, some of the pools are downright chilly. A lot of people like to enjoy a day at the natural hot springs. We like Tabacon and Eco Termales.