Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotel recs for Monteverde? Also, how long is the drive from Monteverde to MA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for hotel recs in Monteverde. Also, I'm trying to get a feel for how long the drive is from Arenal to Monteverde, and Monteverde to Manuel Antonio. I want to make sure I alot enough time for travel.
Thanks
Julie
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:25 PM

Hello,
I don't know if this will help you, but one poster told me the drive from Arenal to MA is 5 - 6 hours; another poster told me 6 - 7 with a 1 1/2 hour stop for lunch. Hope this info helps.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:07 PM

I enjoyed Hotel Belmar in Monteverde. They have two buildings - the chalet is a bit older and cheaper, while the main building is newly renovated, has nice views and is a bit more expensive (but not very expensive). You would need a car to stay there (and it sounds like you will have one) since it is up a long road/hill outside the main town. The hotel arranged a tour of the cloud forest for us and our guide (who works for the hotel) was great.

Don't know about the drive. I took the jeep/boat/jeep transfer between Arenal and Monteverde. I did drive from MA to Arenal and it took about 5 hours.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:02 PM

Stayed at the Belmar 2 weeks ago. It was good for the price. The Main house rooms do not have Balconies, but have great views. It was very windy when we were there which made it very noisy at night in the upper floor main house rooms. Would try a bottom floor or Chalet next time. The Belmar and Johnny's Pizza had the best food I had in Costa Rica for the 2 weeks we were there. (the food is good throughout the Country those were just the best) The road up to the Belmar is not that long. Taxi's took us around not costing more than $5. Just don't miss Selventura Zip line Canopy tour. $35 for 2 1/2 hours and 19 platforms through virgin rain forests. Well worth it!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I have stayed at the Heliconia a couple of times and enjoyed it. They do seem to have gotten a lot more expensive though. Love their pizza!! Ate at Johnnies also which was also good. What I liked about the Heliconia is that it was within walking distance to several things. You could walk to town and all the attractions there. The road to the butterfly garden is right across the street. El Sapo Dorado is also a good place in a good location. Do look at the monteverdeinfo.com web site. They have a map of the area so you can get a better idea of where things are.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM

julieg--not sure of your price range, but Fonda Vela in Monteverde was excellent. Great restaurant, too.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:43 AM

We stayed at Montana Monteverde and loved it. We could see the mountains and the Gulf of Nicoya from our room. They had a decent restaurant and a small bar. They also had a nature trail, which is supposed to be pretty good.

Another fodorite mentioned something about spiders. We didn't notice them, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.