Search

after Arenal......

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after Arenal......

OK. So after many requests and failures to book 3 nights from Dec 31-Jan 2nd anwyhere in Arenal for less than $250/night we succeeded in booking a hostel (not my top choice but now I'm happy we just have a roof over our heads): Jardines Arenal. We were trying to find something that would be close to Nuevo Arenal as we've been told that's where we'd find bars/restaurants, etc. That's not or priority for the rest of the trip but, not being a couple and being on vacation during New Year's Eve we wanted to make sure we could get somewhere outside our hotel to have a drink and possibly see other people. Anyone stayed at Jardines Arenal and have stories of good bars/food in town, or suggestions of rental car vs. taxi (if that's even possible) to town?
My big question is this: from Arenal do I brave the by all accounts 'difficult and long' road to Monteverde and then another huge drive to Montezuma before heading back to SJ, or are there some other great places (preferrably less touristy) I can visit without 3-6 hour bumpyt rides? I'm all about experiencing different things and sometimes the best parts of my trip have been just seeing that cute little town no tourists really go to or finding some really beautiful nature areas that are not on guided bus or group tours. In a perfect world, I'd have a Costa Rica native friend to show us all the backroads stuff but alas that's not the case. If you were me and you had 8 days left after san jose and arenal-what would be some of the options? Or should I just suck it up and brave the drive to Monteverde and stay a few nights there (from what I've heard not many people spend very much time here so I'm thinking it must be a short stop kind of place?)
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM

You can eliminate a lot of the drive to Monteverde by doing the Jeep Boat Jeep; we used Desafio, and it saved us a lot of time. They take you across Lake Arenal in a boat, and then you get picked up on the other side for the remainder of the ride to Monteverde.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM

I did stay at Jardines Arenal with my friend, my son and his fiance. It was very reasonable, clean and quite nice. We reserved the private rooms and it was only $22 per night including breakfast. The owners are very nice and the breakfast is not fancy but very good. They own a dairy and will show you around and introduce you to the cows if you ask.

The only drawback is, since it is on the main road into La Fortuna, the traffic noise gets loud around 5 a.m. with trucks. We had the room at the front so I would request a back room. Also, I live in a rural area where there is no noise so it may be that I am more sensitive to that.

The hostel is just down the road from El Novilla. We didn't eat there. It is only 5 or 10 minutes from the hostel into town. The owner, Hernan, is very nice and will book tours or get you a taxi if you don't have a car. While there we ate at:
Eco Thermales Hot Springs - Excellent
Soda Parada - Very reasonable and good food...excellent flan!
La Choza Laurel - Excellent food also but be sure to ask the price on the specials!! :=)

My favorite place was Monteverde, so if it was up to me.. I would go for it. The road is bumpy but not dangerous. Just go slow and enjoy the scenery...or as was suggested...do the Jeep,boat,jeep tour. We went from Monteverde straight to Manuel Antonio so that was not an option for us. Check Youtube for Road to Monteverde and it will give you an idea of the ride! :=)

Enjoy!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM

www.arenal.net

www.monteverde.info

La Fortuna will have your best food/drink options look at your map
Nuevo Arenal far away minimal food/drink lodgings options.

Would also go for Monteverde for a fewdays Trapp Family Lodge or Belmar would be nice.Did the drive in a Sentra not bad rattly hardpack with potholes.

Usually rent a car

www.mapache.com Tricolor

more flexibility

cheaper than taking cabs

For beach might head over ot

www.malpaissurfclub.com

for a few days on my way back down.

Have Fun,
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM

We drove from Arenal to Monteverde and it was NOT, I repeat, NOT that big a deal. The road was gravel, sure, but it was neither dangerous nor in bad condition - for a gravel road.

Was it long? Sure. Would I do it differently? No. We took our three kids, water, some snacks, a plastic coated wildlife guide and watched for toucans on the wing. However, at least one of you, hopefully the driver, should be watching the road.

If you're looking for a great place to stay on the way to Santa Elena, try Satya Band B at www.satyabb.com.

It's an organic coffee plantation in the mountains with wonderful views and terrific hosts.

Enjoy!