Money Tips for Playa del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are going to Mexico for a week in February. We can't figure out whether it makes sense to bring cash with us, get traveler's checks and change them there, or use ATMs and credit cards to get by. We're not staying at an all-inclusive, so we will be paying for everything.

I've seen notes about the upcharge to use US$ at different stores and attractions, which will get frustrating, and I don't really like the idea of walking around with that much cash.

I know credit cards will give us the best exchange rate for larger purchases, but are they readily accepted at restaurants or tourist attractions? Are there other hidden fees I need to beware of?

Traveler's checks would prevent some of the insane fees that the banks will charge, but are there conveniently located places to exchange them?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:04 PM

Traveler's checks are getting harder and harder to cash. Do you know where you'll be staying? Ask them if they'll cash them.

Credit cards are accepted at the larger restaurants. I rarely use them in Mexico though. Too much chance of fraud. And, many charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. I do use a credit card at places where the credit card itself doesn't leave my sight. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

I pretty much use ATM's, where ever I travel. The fees have never been that bad. Call your bank and find out what they charge. Only use an ATM that is affiliated with a bank, not one of those free standing ones that will likely charge awful fees.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. Interesting point about using credit cards and the possible fraud. I never thought of that. I'll take this good info to the boyfriend, and we'll figure out what to do.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:18 AM

Traveler's Checks are pretty much obsolete. There are atm's everywhere in Playa. There's one right in the airport lobby. We also use our Capital One (no extra fees) credit card on occasion - never had a problem. Most places will accept USD, but you'll take a slight hit on the exchange rate. Never use the money exchange booths - they are a real rip - don't know how they stay in business.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:34 AM

Use your debit card for Pesos. Do NOT use CC's in restaurants, shops or bars. Sadly there is a fair amount of fraud once your CC# is out there.

ATM's give you the best exchange rate, are safe and found almost everywhere. Do choose ATM's that are associated with banks (one across from the ADO station on 5th for example)or in high use areas.

Do remember that the cash amount selections will be in pesos and displayed as $500 for example. $500 in pesos only equals $50 USD.

I almost never bring much US cash anymore, I depend on the ATMs for cash and have never had a problem.

Have a blast, I'll be there in Feb again too!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never use a credit card in Mexico, except to pay the hotel bill. There's just too much fraud.

I take $300-400 USD and change it at a "cambio" into peso for spending. I keep the extra locked in the room safe.

When I need more I go to an ATM machine and withdraw peso directly using my debit card from my home bank account. As a BoA customer I can use Scotia or Santanders without fees and get the best exchange rate possible.

TC's are a bit old-fashioned but OK as a back-up. Just don't plan to spend them directly. You'll need to cash them & turn them into peso at your hotel front desk or a cambio (take ID).
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM

I'm with suze, I only use my credit card for big ticket items like hotel and rental car, pay cash for everything else. I took US$ last trip as well as leftover pesos, did not have to use my ATM card last trip. Do notify your bank if you plan tot use your credit cards or ATM card so they do not block purchases for possible fraud. Let them know you will be in Mexico and what dates.