moderately priced jungle lodge

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:28 PM
kb2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moderately priced jungle lodge

We were planning on staying at Roaring River lodge, per recommendations from this site, but a friend who just got back from Belize said that lodges near Belmopan aren't really in the jungle, aren't at a high elevation and will be very hot. Is this true? Should we be looking at jungle lodges near San Ignacio instead? Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:25 PM

Can't answer your specific questions, but I have been doing similar research regarding moderatly priced lodges. You might want to look into the Camp at Chaa Creek for $50/night pp with meals; we briefly considered this option for our planned trip in July but then opted to splurge and go for Ek'Tun.

Two helpful sites I found for information are belizenet.com (forums section) and belizefirst.com.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM

This time of year, it's going to be hot just about anywhere in Belize. San Ignacio and Belmopan, less than 25 miles apart, have the same climate and more or less the same elevation.

Perhaps your friend is thinking of the Mountain Pine Ridge, which is at a higher elevation. It is cooler and somewhat less humid there. But the Mountain Pine Ridge does not look like the "jungle" you are probably expecting -- much of it looks something like the low mountains in north Alabama, complete with red clay, though with orchids and more exotic wildlife. Quite a few of the pines have been killed by the Southern Pine Beetle (the same beetle that hit pines in the U.S. South). There are only four lodges in the Pine Ridge; the Pine Ridge Lodge is the cheapest of the four, followed by Five Sisters, Hidden Valley and Blancaneaux, the priciest.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the pine beetle. I guess that little bugger is everywhere. We really enjoyed our time up on the Pine Ridge. We had a mayan guide who drove us to Caracol and Rio Frio, and the waterfall where we saw our first King Vultures flying around. He took us further away also where we saw several other ruins and had lunch at a great restaurant.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:03 AM

I should clarify my own comment: Not all of this region is pine -- though that's what Belizeans mean when they use the term ridge -- not a mountain ridge but an area with a certain kind of tree, in this case Mountain Pine. But there are also areas of broadleaf bush, and as you get closer to Caracol you are in REAL jungle.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 03:38 PM
kb2
Original Poster

A follow up question to my original posting: If the climate and elevation are similar, are there other differences between the two areas (near Belmopan and San Ignacio)? Roaring River has great prices for their lodging and tours but since we may only get to Belize once, we would love to hear from someone who has actually stayed there. We are also wondering if the jungle camp at Chaa Creek is worth the extra money it costs. Any other suggestions for affordable, pretty and friendly jungle lodges?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:14 AM

You might want to take a look at Crystal Paradise Resort, on the Macal River. They have thatched roof casitas for 125.00 for two with bkft and dinner included. I much prefer this area of Cayo, lots more to do and cooler at night in the early morning hrs.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I just came back from Belize a few days ago and stayed at the Roaring River Lodge. I cannot say enough good things about this place!
The hosts Wim and Chantal are extremely gracious. They picked me up from the bus station. The first drink (Belikin beer-local for Belizians) is on the house and breakfast is included. I stayed in the bunkhouse for $10 a night and it included all of this! Their place is VERY remote. If you are looking to get away from it all and just enjoy the outdoors, this is the place for you. The pool was being worked on at the time and the river is running low right now, so there is no tubing on the river right now. But that could change if it rains. The property is very well manicured and maintained, flowers everywhere. Outside restaurant, and outside bar. The owners are from Belgium and I can't say enough about this place. This was one of the biggest bargains of my trip!!! You will not be disappointed! Tell them Robin from Buffalo says hello!!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Just remember who recommended Roaring River Lodge!

--Lan Sluder
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Yes, a guidebook recommended it to me.. and I am recommending it on to someone else...Lan, any other comments or suggestions?!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Actually, I recommended it to you here on this site (go back to your original message titled Single Girl Traveling/Cheap Sleeps and see my reply there.

--Lan Sluder